Nuking rock of 2 major pests without killing beneficial bacteria

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have an established reef that I refuse to kill the rock in when I transfer everything to my new tank.

I have thousands of flatworms and lots of bubble algae. Eventually I will move all fish, coral, and inverts to my new tank. Cleaning shells and dipping corals. My old tank will be running with the rock and pests only.

Should I dose flatworm exit and kill almost all of them, kill my lights, put fluconazole in the tank, and pray the BA dissolves, then move my rock over?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a good idea. i would pull the rock and scrape off the bubble algae, maybe even spot treat with H2O2 and then put the rock in a barrel to treat with flatworm exit. If your tank has high Phosphate then i would dose lanthanum chloride to lower that too. Of course it can be done in the existing tank if you choose.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a good idea. i would pull the rock and scrape off the bubble algae, maybe even spot treat with H2O2 and then put the rock in a barrel to treat with flatworm exit. If your tank has high Phosphate then i would dose lanthanum chloride to lower that too. Of course it can be done in the existing tank if you choose.
With all the bubble algae sucking up my po4 i honestly have not had detectable (salifert) phosphate. I bet its around 0.01 but I need to get a Hanna ULR.

Now just to figure out how to remove RFAs from rock as well as shrooms… Probably just try my best not to kill any attached corals that I want to keep

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back