Nutrients and Cyano...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have not had cyano cover healthy coral.

I did say I don't get cyano much. But I did lose a tank to it. A jbj cube. My 30 now is the rebuild.
In that jbj I did not have cyano cover or choke a healthy coral.
Yea it was a carpet on the sand and some of the rocks.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there's more, I'm not 100% convinced it's cyano.
The first pic in front of zoas no. Second pic that's dying not surprised to see cyano eating it. Third pic, whaaa?;)
I do se some on the coral behind it.

The first pic makes me want to say you need more snails. See behind zoas.
What do you think?

20170610_162017.jpg

20170610_161954.jpg

20170610_161926.jpg

20170610_161859.jpg

20170610_161839.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea there's some cyanos in there.
That top pic makes me say you need more snails.
The second pic the cyano has some odd structure to it. It's def not the silky smooth hmm

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea there's some cyanos in there.
That top pic makes me say you need more snails.
The second pic the cyano has some odd structure to it. It's def not the silky smooth hmm
Well thanks for the advice! More snails I can definitely do. I didn't want to overdo it and starve them so I've gone light on their stocking.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feel ~5 ppm NO3 and .03 PO4 to be too high?

It is too high to limit the growth of phytoplankton, and hence probably some types of algae and possibly cyano.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have in your tank is not ciano, is dinos :( it looks exactly like in my tank when it started, Get some toy microscope and check it out, Im sure at 100 % its dinos. Thats why your zoas wont open, your sps will loose color and start to stn slowly. Im sorry for you, Im fighting it about 7 months now.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That what it looked like in my tank and on my millepora it killed. You can see thay look diferent when the wavemaker is on
e65b6b6291b25a0dd33c9808694b1174.jpg

and with flow in the tank completly off
e162b65163ae5c2fa37d9dae240f7774.jpg

you can see clearly how dinos cover the coral and rock, and when the flow is on it looks like long brown strings. If you let your flow off for long enough and get your water stagnant you will start to see how dinos reagroup in the water column and form a sort of strings like those
37a401e35314840c796aa2c29df0515b.jpg

My dinos are big in size couse its ostreopsis ovata, it can look little bit diferent in your tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That what it looked like in my tank and on my millepora it killed. You can see thay look diferent when the wavemaker is on

you can see clearly how dinos cover the coral and rock, and when the flow is on it looks like long brown strings. If you let your flow off for long enough and get your water stagnant you will start to see how dinos reagroup in the water column and form a sort of strings
Just out of curiosity. How big and old is your tank and how many and what kind of snails do you have?

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you can see clearly how dinos cover the coral and rock, and when the flow is on it looks like long brown strings. If you let your flow off for long enough and get your water stagnant you will start to see how dinos reagroup in the water column and form a sort of strings like those
37a401e35314840c796aa2c29df0515b.jpg

My dinos are big in size couse its ostreopsis ovata, it can look little bit diferent in your tank.
I wondered about dinos, due to the bubbly strands, but then the more I read about cyano, the more it seemed like a very real possibility. Thank you for the other point of view and information. I might have to try turning the powerhead off for a bit to see what happens.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity. How big and old is your tank and how many and what kind of snails do you have?
My tank is about 15 months, is an upgrade from 30 galon to 160. My snails are all death becouse of ostreopsis, so are my stomatellas, chitons, amphipods, copepods, it killed all.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered about dinos, due to the bubbly strands, but then the more I read about cyano, the more it seemed like a very real possibility. Thank you for the other point of view and information. I might have to try turning the powerhead off for a bit to see what happens.
I have both now couse I was trying to rise my phosphate to kill the dinos and believe me its not ciano what you have, ciano have diferent colour and it forms like mat looking think.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 15 months, is an upgrade from 30 galon to 160. My snails are all death becouse of ostreopsis, so are my stomatellas, chitons, amphipods, copepods, it killed all.
That's quite rare. Did you confirm with a scope?
It seems most Dino in larger quantity will cause death in snailas as well. Thus the common advice of manual removal to decrease biomass.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's quite rare. Did you confirm with a scope?
It seems most Dino in larger quantity will cause death in snailas as well. Thus the common advice of manual removal to decrease biomass.
Yes I have some videos made with my phone and microscope in the Dinoflagellates a posible cure treat.
Yes, dinos will kill all that eats them, my snail are death, so are my chitons, stomatellas, amhipods, copepods, even ofiurias and tailspot blenny.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have some videos made with my phone and microscope in the Dinoflagellates a posible cure treat.
Yes, dinos will kill all that eats them, my snail are death, so are my chitons, stomatellas, amhipods, copepods, even ofiurias and tailspot blenny.
Many snails are actually supposed to eat diatoms in fact.
I do belive for many reasons most people have several types of Dino's in the system but for some growth is spurred by a trigger I don't quite understand yet.
I have seen outbreaks of Dino caused by VIbrant overdose in one case.
The most common place I see Dino's appear is in tanks cycled with dry rock from the start.
Some suggest it's a nutrient issue, some say carbon source and many say lack of micro faunal competition.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many snails are actually supposed to eat diatoms in fact.
I do belive for many reasons most people have several types of Dino's in the system but for some growth is spurred by a trigger I don't quite understand yet.
I have seen outbreaks of Dino caused by VIbrant overdose in one case.
The most common place I see Dino's appear is in tanks cycled with dry rock from the start.
Some suggest it's a nutrient issue, some say carbon source and many say lack of micro faunal competition.
Yes thats kind of mistery still, thats why we didnt find the cure yet, some will win the battle removing nutrients, some trying dirthy method so Im batteling for 7 months now and lost almost all my corals and nothing seem to work :( a lot of dino victims prefer to restart the system and I think I start to understand them.
I really dont think is becouse of lack of biodiversity couse I had a lot of live in my tank before dino killed all

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats kind of mistery still, thats why we didnt find the cure yet, some will win the battle removing nutrients, some trying dirthy method so Im batteling for 7 months now and lost almost all my corals and nothing seem to work :( a lot of dino victims prefer to restart the system and I think I start to understand them.
I really dont think is becouse of lack of biodiversity couse I had a lot of live in my tank before dino killed all

I'm so sorry to hear that really. Everyones reef should be a joy not a burden.

What I read when I began reefing , because it was easy to find , was lots and lots of science. And also I found , because it was again the easy hit in Google was , Randy Holmes Farley , GARF . Org , and PaulB. That combined with My childhood love of Jacque Cousteau and adult life as a science nerd made my personal methods.
All those I cited above seem to say the same thing.

That's why I actually reccomend Walt Smiths Fiji Mud to people.

I have grown organisims from a dry cycle and the mud. Not to mention the new colors of corraline.

I have never had any major diatoms , never Dino's , rarely cyano.
I also put stuff from the ocean in my tank. I always have.

On a level I think it's akin to adding earthworms and lady bugs to your garden.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry to hear that really. Everyones reef should be a joy not a burden.

What I read when I began reefing , because it was easy to find , was lots and lots of science. And also I found , because it was again the easy hit in Google was , Randy Holmes Farley , GARF . Org , and PaulB. That combined with My childhood love of Jacque Cousteau and adult life as a science nerd made my personal methods.
All those I cited above seem to say the same thing.

That's why I actually reccomend Walt Smiths Fiji Mud to people.

I have grown organisims from a dry cycle and the mud. Not to mention the new colors of corraline.

I have never had any major diatoms , never Dino's , rarely cyano.
I also put stuff from the ocean in my tank. I always have.

On a level I think it's akin to adding earthworms and lady bugs to your garden.

I was trying to add some rock and sand from healthy systems but it doesnt seem to work, I have a long way to the ocean :( I will restart my tank soon and quarantine all that will get in, corals included. It seems ostreopsis is a pain for a lot of reefers lately and it doesnt seem to respond to any treatment once it took over your tank.

RoyalGrammaJohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the longest time I was struggling with bleaching corals and as it turns out I believe it was due to low nutrients. The problem I am having now, is that whenever I get them (NO3/PO4) where I want them, 2.5-5 NO3 (Salifert) and ~.03 PO4 (Hanna ULR), I get a cyano outbreak. Is this a common issue or am I missing something? PO4 was raised naturally through increased feeding and less frequent WCs and NO3 eventually had to be dosed using Brightwell's NeoNitro. I want good color for my SPS, but the cyano (while still controllable) is starting to have negative effects on my coral.

Kind of at a loss here guys, any help would be greatly appreciated.[ good be high tds. Make sure your using rodi and even if you have allow tds a lot of the times it accumulates overtime with water changes and cause cyano. My hunch is that it's from that dosing stuff your using. Every time I see people dosing things like that they either get cyano or Dino outbreak.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back