Nutrients bottoming out?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank 3 months old. And i started at 0.20 phosphate and 18 nitrate running the roller matt for a while dropped me to 6 nitrate and 0.06 phosphate. And while its good i dont want to bottom out. Iv been feeding 3x a day. Phyto, red sea ab+ and frozen + pellets. I was wondering do i put the advanced legth on my roller to 0.4 instead of 0.6 option 1 would that help?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank 3 months old. And i started at 0.20 phosphate and 18 nitrate running the roller matt for a while dropped me to 6 nitrate and 0.06 phosphate. And while its good i dont want to bottom out. Iv been feeding 3x a day. Phyto, red sea ab+ and frozen + pellets. I was wondering do i put the advanced legth on my roller to 0.4 instead of 0.6 option 1 would that help?
I suggest that you consider that mechanical filtration is not having a large effect on nitrate level, but algae is, probably micro algae on the surface of the aquarium, rocks and sand. If you shut off the aquarium lights, I would not be surprised to hear that nitrate is rising after a week (you might not be adding much protein every day, and it might take longer to detect a nitrate concentration increase). If you have coral, shutting off the light is not an option. You can add nitrate or ammonium chloride or feed more to boost the nitrogen input to the aquarium.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back