Nyos Nitrate + / Nyos Phosphate +

Glammers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello! My nitrate and phosphates are starting to get a little lower than I’d like. In acceptable ranges for me and corals are happy but would like to get ahead of it. Starting to look around I found that Nyos has some easy to use products called Nitrate + and Phosphate +

Having trouble finding any info on these, curious if anyone has used them or has had any good luck with them.

Thanks!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My nitrate and phosphates are starting to get a little lower than I’d like. In acceptable ranges for me and corals are happy but would like to get ahead of it. Starting to look around I found that Nyos has some easy to use products called Nitrate + and Phosphate +

Having trouble finding any info on these, curious if anyone has used them or has had any good luck with them.

Thanks!
I’ve use neonitro and neo phos (brightwell?), which look similar to this. My tank eats up nutrients like crazy and they help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the commercial products may be fine, you can get products with a purity guarantee those lack, at a much lower price by buying food grade sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate from amazon.

FWIW, I find the claim from NYOS that dosing phosphate or nitrate in the links above deters algae growth to be ludicrous. At best it is some sort of misleading advertising based on some unusual scenario. it is certainly not generally true.

OP
OP
G

Glammers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While the commercial products may be fine, you can get products with a purity guarantee those lack, at a much lower price by buying food grade sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate from amazon.

FWIW, I find the claim from NYOS that dosing phosphate or nitrate in the links above deters algae growth to be ludicrous. At best it is some sort of misleading advertising based on some unusual scenario. it is certainly not generally true.
The purity issue is where I have concerns, I decided to purchase sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate with your recommendations. Assuming these two options are safe?

@Randy Holmes-Farley Using this http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm as I have seen from your previous posts.

I know for the Nitrate I will be using the Potassium Nitrate option and I believe multiply the result by .84 if I recall correctly from past readings?

For the Potassium Phosphate, is there a calculation I should be using for that as well to get the correct amount?

Appreciate your help!! :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purity issue is where I have concerns, I decided to purchase sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate with your recommendations. Assuming these two options are safe?

@Randy Holmes-Farley Using this http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm as I have seen from your previous posts.

I know for the Nitrate I will be using the Potassium Nitrate option and I believe multiply the result by .84 if I recall correctly from past readings?

For the Potassium Phosphate, is there a calculation I should be using for that as well to get the correct amount?

Appreciate your help!! :)

Assuming they are what they say they are (and I have no reason to doubt them), then those are good choices. Lots of folks use Loudwolf products.

Even just using the straight potassiun nitrate entry will be close enough, but yes, you use a little less as you note.

For phosphate, use the entry for phosphate from potassium phosphate. There are enough other variables, such as the exact number of K or Na in the formulation, moisture in the formulation, and the binding of phosphate to rock and sand after dosing that any calculation is just an estimate anyway.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a shopping note:
Loudwolf website has free shipping so usually works out cheaper than Amazon (for me anyway).

They also have Potassium Nitrate that you mentioned although I've never used it. (I use Trisodium Phosphate and Calcium Nitrate direct from Loudwolf)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also have Potassium Nitrate that you mentioned although I've never used it. (I use Trisodium Phosphate and Calcium Nitrate direct from Loudwolf)

Calcium nitrate is also a good choice if you can find it, since it is actually a balanced calcium and alk additive method, but potassium nitrate is not. Potassium may rise excessively unless you do substantial water changes to keep it in check.

OP
OP
G

Glammers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley Sorry for another question but is there any issues with long term storage of these solutions? I wasn't planning on making a large batch since my tank is only 25g (assuming close to 20g after rock, sand, etc.) but would likely store these for 6-8 months.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a shopping note:
Loudwolf website has free shipping so usually works out cheaper than Amazon (for me anyway).

Same

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley Sorry for another question but is there any issues with long term storage of these solutions? I wasn't planning on making a large batch since my tank is only 25g (assuming close to 20g after rock, sand, etc.) but would likely store these for 6-8 months.

No, they are good forever.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
112 grams of trisodium phosphate from loudwolf will last a lifetime..lol. 2 grams per 1000ml of rodi at 5ml dose will raise 100 gallons .02ish

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Glammers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
112 grams of trisodium phosphate from loudwolf will last a lifetime..lol. 2 grams per 1000ml of rodi at 5ml dose will raise 25 gallons .02ish
Yes and for $16 can't beat the price! I was going to make 500ml batches and was concerned that even at 500ml, this container will be sitting around for a very long time. Glad as Randy said, there is no expiration date on the solution :D

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and for $16 can't beat the price! I was going to make 500ml batches and was concerned that even at 500ml, this container will be sitting around for a very long time. Glad as Randy said, there is no expiration date on the solution :D
It's powder/crystals. Just add the amount you want per 500ml and shake/swirl good. The rest will keep in the bottle it comes in. A cheap digital scale works to measure grams

OP
OP
G

Glammers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's powder/crystals. Just add the amount you want per 500ml and shake/swirl good. The rest will keep in the bottle it comes in. A cheap digital scale works to measure grams
Ok it looks like I need to buy a scale too. Was going to do teaspoons but after messing around with the dosing calculator a bit, looks like its going to be a lot easier to just use a scale and measure grames. Thanks for the advice!

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it looks like I need to buy a scale too. Was going to do teaspoons but after messing around with the dosing calculator a bit, looks like its going to be a lot easier to just use a scale and measure grames. Thanks for the advice!
Made a mistake in my previous post...it will raise 100 gallons .02ish....not 25 gallons as previously stated/edited.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there are levels of no3 and po4 that will growth-limit algae, the dinos in your corals will likely long have been toast, as well as many other organic tissue suffering. What is Nyos thinking? Guess they could have some other unmentioned thing in this product like an algaecide, which is another reason to just buy high quality stuff and make your own.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%

Back