Ocean Live Rock 25 Gallon IM Lagoon

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say I’m curious about your ich. Are you sure it wasn’t velvet? Seems odd you lost all your fish. How long had you had them?

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say I’m curious about your ich. Are you sure it wasn’t velvet? Seems odd you lost all your fish. How long had you had them?
Added them pretty slowly over the course of 5 months. The stupid Royal Gramma got everyone riled up. I am not SURE it was not velvet. Pretty sure it was ich though. I have about 30 more days to go of fishless.

Looking forward to restocking slowly. No more Royal Grammas for me.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m old school and follow the 1 fish per 10
Gallon rule. Something to be said about not overcrowding and stressing fish. It’s been my experience that healthy fish do not succumb to disease. I live with what I believe to be velvet in my system and it only ever rears its head when I do something very stupid and stress everyone out, or try and add a tang. It’s been this way as long as i can remember.
Clean water, healthy diet, low stress is a combo for success!

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I want to talk about good hitchhikers. They do abound! All of these came in on the TBS Premium Ocean live rocks. We even had a discussion by email beforehand to talk about what I might like to see. They nailed it.

The urchin is an algae Roomba! Only draw back is that it does eat coralline.
image6.jpeg

It is also a bit of a daredevil.
image0 (8).jpeg

I have counted a total of 9 limpets at one time. They are growing fast.
image1 (3).jpeg

Yellow rock boring sponges
image2.jpeg

Lightbulb Nem has quadrupled in size. It has not multiplied.
IMG_5181.jpg

2 Tunicate colonies. These guys were awesome, they only lasted 3 months. They would dissolve into an orange wad of gum and then multiply by reconstructing themselves with more cells. Then a limpet ate them. Very sad...

IMG_5261.jpg

Porcelain Crabs, at least 6 individuals
IMG_5400.jpg

IMG_5282.jpg

A couple odds and ends were one bivalve clam thingy, a single barnacle that survived a few months, a few small bristle worms, lots of pods, lots and lots of micro bristle stars, and 2 bristle stars about the size of a half dollar, a cup coral that got smothered by sand, and a partridge in a pear tree. image0 (3).jpeg IMG_5212.jpg
Those gulf limpets are already algae eating beasts too! The one in my 10g completely eradicated my invasive ulva.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, 30 more days of a fishless tank, here are a current fishless full tank shots. Then we will get back the build. Next topic is anemones. No BTAs here. RFAs and LBAs...

Blue light ramp up and down for 8 hours (4 & 4)
IMG_5465.jpg

About 70% intensity for 4 hours
IMG_5468.jpg

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, fallow period is over. I will update that after I post this final retro update about nems. I had a hitchhiker "lightbulb" anemone come in on my Premium ocean live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. It was about the size of a dime.
IMG_5167.jpg
Took me several weeks to notice it. A lot of people ID'd it as an Aptasia, but I wasn't sure, so I left it. I finally got the correct ID, so it just goes to show you, that despite everyone's good intentions, people are not always correct... It has not multiplied, but it has flourished! It is currently the size of a racquet ball. A nice natural addition to my tank.
image2 (11).jpeg

I only have limited experience, but knew a bubble tip was beyond my skills, and the maturity of my tank. I don't do clown fish, so I was looking for an alternative. I stumbled upon Rock Flower Anemones. The seemed easy enough, and perfect for adding some diversity and color to my tank. I ordered 5 for $100 bucks from Jamrock Corals in Myrtle Beach. Shipping was extra but very reasonable. They are not "ultras", but I did not care. That was November of last year. Very well packaged, all arrived alive and have been thriving in my tank. I could not be happier with them.
image1 (7).jpeg

image1 (13).jpeg

image0 (16).jpeg

The next update will be my fish livestock choices that have all since perished from the dreaded Ich. I am ready to start adding fish again. Here is a teaser...
swiss_guard.jpg

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m old school and follow the 1 fish per 10
Gallon rule. Something to be said about not overcrowding and stressing fish. It’s been my experience that healthy fish do not succumb to disease. I live with what I believe to be velvet in my system and it only ever rears its head when I do something very stupid and stress everyone out, or try and add a tang. It’s been this way as long as i can remember.
Clean water, healthy diet, low stress is a combo for success!
I agree mostly with what you say here. I would add that it is really important not to buy fish that will compete for a "niche" habitat in a small tank. Mix a bottom dweller with a rock dweller and a more open water species, and you can maximize the volume of your tank.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For folks who may not know, these fellows are the "Swiss Guard". The fish is named for its markings which resemble the uniforms. They are the Pontifical Swiss Guard. They guard the pope. They must be Swiss. They originated in the 15th century.
swiss_guard.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back