Oceanic 140 gallon repair

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Oceanic 140 gallon tank that has developed a very small leak in the upper right hand corner. I have narrowed the leak down to the top 10" of the tank. The back of the tank is glass and the bow front is not. The seams are all done with a black silicone like substance. Can anyone tell me if tank silicone is the right material to use for the repair? I think a thin bead over the existing bead will probably fix the leak.

Many thanks folks .... Shaun

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone won't stick to silicone. It's best to remove the old caulk first. 140 gallons is a lot of pressure. You should really think about redoing all of the caulk.

OP
OP
Shaun Sweeney

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. If I redo the caulk, my first question becomes what product to use considering that I'm dealing with two different materials.

ReefNerd76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would as they said redo the entire tank, but find out what it is that was used previously, scrape off all of the old and reseal the entire tank. Only way to fix it I'm afraid.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What two materials?

Thanks for the advice. If I redo the caulk, my first question becomes what product to use considering that I'm dealing with two different materials.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For glass to glass I would Momentive RTV 108 silicone. Just make sure you remove all old silicone and clean with alcohol before sealing. Also let it cure a minimum of 48 hours

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have glass siliconed to acrylic, you are going to have a lot of problems getting these to stay together. Did this break and someone repaired this? I can't imagine a tank coming from the factory with part acrylic and part glass. This is probably why it started to leak in the first place. Silicone does not stick permanently to acrylic.

OP
OP
Shaun Sweeney

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These Oceanic 1/2 pipes are built that way. The back is glass (I know because I drilled it) and the curved front is acrylic. As it turns out, I may have jumped the gun regarding the leak. It looks like it might be the skimmer I installed. I'm going to pull the tank out and tighten the fittings tomorrow. Still, I wonder what they used.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely a uv activated adhesive.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

• Other.

Back