Odd ball first saltwater tank build Fluval Flex 32

Dridenour223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after wanting to set up a salt water tank for quite some time I finally took the plunge. I was looking around at the lfs and was eyeballing a cobalt c-vue, but my gf saw the flex and we ended up getting it instead. It's been up and running for about a month now, kinda jumped the gun and added two black ice snowflake clowns. They seem to be doing fine but I'm holding off on anything else going in for awhile.

01-28-2020.jpeg

01-28-2020(3).jpeg

01-28-2020(5).jpeg

01-28-2020(4).jpeg

01-28-2020(2).jpeg

I ended up going with 40lbs of bimini pink sand and 40lbs of caribsea liferock and used Dr. Tim's one and only to start the cycle. Not all 40lbs of the rock are in the tank but that might possibly change, I'm still not sure on the scape and it may be getting shifted around a little. The goal is for this to be a mixed reef, mostly lps and softies, possibly some sps later on towards the top of the tank. I haven't decided on the rest of the livestock yet or the cuc either. I'm basically just going to finish getting the rest of the equipment and ride out the rest of the cycle before anything else goes in. So far I'm just running the stock jank light, but it is going to possibly be getting swapped out for a couple AI primes or Kessil a160s. I'm not 100% on lights yet, I have also thought about trying to find a couple of used hydra 26s. It's still running the stock pump for the time being, if I even change it. The stock foam bocks have been swapped out for Intank media baskets. I will be running filter floss in the top chamber, seachem matrix in the middle chambers and some form of chemical media in the bottom chamber on one side. The bottom chamber on the other is going to possibly get a homemade pod hotel. I'm most likely going to be getting at least one mp10 to start off with for flow and add a second later if need be. An ato is also on the list and eventually the plan is to get an apex.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your off to s great start. I really like your stand and I think the scape is great. I have Ai primes and really like them. What kind of corals do you plan on keeping and what are the tanks dimensions?

OP
OP
Dridenour223

Dridenour223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your off to s great start. I really like your stand and I think the scape is great. I have Ai primes and really like them. What kind of corals do you plan on keeping and what are the tanks dimensions?
Thanks. It will probably mostly be lps and softies, maybe an easier sps towards the top of tank later on. The tank is 32.5"x15"x15.75", the sand bed is about 13-14" from the water line.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you finding the curved front for viewing? It’s a good looking tank.

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's this tank going? Just purchased one today should here Friday.

Dadsponser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after wanting to set up a salt water tank for quite some time I finally took the plunge. I was looking around at the lfs and was eyeballing a cobalt c-vue, but my gf saw the flex and we ended up getting it instead. It's been up and running for about a month now, kinda jumped the gun and added two black ice snowflake clowns. They seem to be doing fine but I'm holding off on anything else going in for awhile.

01-28-2020.jpeg

01-28-2020(3).jpeg

01-28-2020(5).jpeg

01-28-2020(4).jpeg

01-28-2020(2).jpeg

I ended up going with 40lbs of bimini pink sand and 40lbs of caribsea liferock and used Dr. Tim's one and only to start the cycle. Not all 40lbs of the rock are in the tank but that might possibly change, I'm still not sure on the scape and it may be getting shifted around a little. The goal is for this to be a mixed reef, mostly lps and softies, possibly some sps later on towards the top of the tank. I haven't decided on the rest of the livestock yet or the cuc either. I'm basically just going to finish getting the rest of the equipment and ride out the rest of the cycle before anything else goes in. So far I'm just running the stock jank light, but it is going to possibly be getting swapped out for a couple AI primes or Kessil a160s. I'm not 100% on lights yet, I have also thought about trying to find a couple of used hydra 26s. It's still running the stock pump for the time being, if I even change it. The stock foam bocks have been swapped out for Intank media baskets. I will be running filter floss in the top chamber, seachem matrix in the middle chambers and some form of chemical media in the bottom chamber on one side. The bottom chamber on the other is going to possibly get a homemade pod hotel. I'm most likely going to be getting at least one mp10 to start off with for flow and add a second later if need be. An ato is also on the list and eventually the plan is to get an apex.
Hi. I have had my tank for about 3 month and still got the standard lighting. I would like to keep lps and softies but I think I will need to upgrade the lighting. How did you get on with your lighting upgrades and which way did you go.

SarahTeri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

01-28-2020.jpeg

01-28-2020(3).jpeg

01-28-2020(5).jpeg

01-28-2020(4).jpeg

01-28-2020(2).jpeg

Looks like you have a black Fluval and a white stand. i guess you bought them separately? Thinking of getting the Fluval Flex Marine 32 gal also...still not sure of black or white. how do you feel and how do you like the black tank with the white stand? Thanks...kept freshwater tanks years ago, just retired and getting back in the hobby, but on the marine side. any thought will help. T

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 151 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back