OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you tried the Velcro zip ties? Those are good at managing wires
I have but there are just way too many wires. I made a controller board to try to manage it somewhat. You are seeing the back of the board in that picture. The plan was to hide all the wires by putting another board up and leaving the wires behind it. I haven’t gotten around to doing that yet. The other wire problem I have is the wires of the light became loose from what was holding them up higher in the canopy. They fell down and it bothers me still. Accessing the back in the canopy is kind of tricky and I’ve just left it for now. Wire management is definitely one of the issues I have to deal with.

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In 3/2023 I acquired this nice sized frag of ASD Rainbow Millepora from here on R2R. This coral did phenomenal in my tank and grows like a weed. It is dead center in the tank and maybe that’s why. I don’t know the secret of why it did well as I can’t get all of my other milleporas to grow like this. It is definitely one of my favorites! I have had to frag large colonies off of it because it grows into other colonies. I have tried to sell frags pretty cheap at our local board but surprisingly not many show interest. I haven’t tried shipping corals before so haven’t tried on R2R.

3/2023
IMG_4518.jpeg

6/2024

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3/2023
Here is a video of the tank during this time. I have a ton of frags invested and things are going reasonably well. Frags are encrusting well. Fish are settling in and developing their hierarchy. I am definitely not done stocking. I am very particular about QT so it’s a slow process. I’m still buying fish and taking them through QT or buying pre quarantined fish from trusted vendors only. With corals I limit myself to very few vendors. I did buy some corals on R2R from some hobbyists but that was a risky move. I dip all my SPS with Bayer and the base of the coral gets snipped off and glued to a new frag plug. Each frag gets inspected for the typical tell tale signs for AEFW. I have found this is a decent method though not 100% safe from AEFW. I did think about QT corals too but I haven’t done that as I’ve found my process ok so far. Now that I’m even more invested I’m in the process of setting up a QT coral tank for observation and treatment if needed.

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the benefits of a basement sump is simply more room to organize all the cable. Going to use a wire labeler for all my connections.
Setting up an organized controller board cabinet and eliminating as many power bricks as possible. There are power dongles that will help. Amazon product

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As the yellow tangs grow one of them becomes super mean and picks off the other two. I tried to separate them but they were impossible to catch. The meaner one did not allow others to feed. Unfortunately I lost two of them. I found one sucked into a power head. The other one I could never find. Looks like Biota was not able to take out the meanness out of this fish. In any case the yellow tang that survived is doing well, is healthy, and still rude. His name is Rudy.

One of the Yellow tangs that got picked off:

IMG_4590.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the benefits of a basement sump is simply more room to organize all the cable. Going to use a wire labeler for all my connections.
Setting up an organized controller board cabinet and eliminating as many power bricks as possible. There are power dongles that will help. Amazon product

100% agree! If I do another large build I am also going to do a basement sump or remote sump in a fish room or something. Cord management under the tank in a stand is too difficult. There isn’t enough space and working underneath is a chore. Looking forward to see your build!

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 2/2023. A friend of mine breeds clownfish and I was able to acquire these Rod’s line (same guy who makes Rod’s Food) Onyx percula clownfish. I don’t know why they are no longer famous but back in the day they were desired. I was able to get a Chicago sunburst anemone to host this new pair!

Om84 are you having any issues with detritus getting under the starboard?

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Om84 are you having any issues with detritus getting under the starboard?

I siliconed the sides and made sure there is some space from the seams of the glass and the starboard. Silicone doesn’t attach the best to hdpe but it creates a flap that covers the gap where detritus could get underneath the board. With all the weight on the board I doubt there is much underneath. I don’t see any warping of the board either. Because of the gap there is a little indentation on all the sides. Detritus does gather there in one part of the tank and I simply just suction that out every few weeks. I am a big fan of starboard. I love the look of sand but I don’t miss it one bit.

IMG_2151.jpeg

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Joe from Glass Cages has recommended NOT to do it. I am going to shoot off an email to Silas to see if they can handle sealing the board. My concern is I will be adding seam guards and the board might not sit level. Will let you know what they say. Thus far my experience with GC's advice has been extremely helpful

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s the concern with siliconing the board to the bottom? Yeah if they can professionally do it that would be awesome. The silicone doesn’t really hold. The biggest concern I had was if the silicone touches the original silicone at the seams of the tank you may have issues. This is why I made sure I had enough space to stay away from the seams of the tank.

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silas from GC has already replied. I really appreciate their customer service. He has stated that snails and other critters can cause the silicon to raise over time. My big concern is that gunk could get further under the HDPE where I couldn't siphon it off. Waiting to hear back.

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got it. Well too late for me lol. So far I have not experienced any major issues regarding this. It would be nice to have professional clean installation of the starboard though.

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass Cages will silicon it on free of charge. I am going to start a new post reaching out to member that are utilizing HDPE bottoms. This site is great the feedback can be extremely helpful

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To take out the tang aggressiveness, I've used the mirror trick, but that is only temporary. The top crazed tang (PBT in my case), would not allow certain tangs (sailfin) to eat from the clip and he gets chased everywhere. So I've had to put nori in opposite ends of the tank to reduce fighting, it works so at least the bottom tangs gets to eat.

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah lots of food and often with plenty of hiding spots seems to be the trick for limiting aggression.

This build looks terrific, than you for sharing! My build has some similarities to yours (when I finally get to post a build thread on here).

That is awesome regarding the ASD millie, having a surplus of that is a great problem to have!

Appreciate the work on the rocks and the videos, definitely nice to see it all documented.

I look forward to more updates, maybe a video of the tank when feeding to see the flow, what are you using for flow? What are your nutrient and major element levels?

Thank you for sharing! I know it is a lot of work!

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah lots of food and often with plenty of hiding spots seems to be the trick for limiting aggression.

This build looks terrific, than you for sharing! My build has some similarities to yours (when I finally get to post a build thread on here).

That is awesome regarding the ASD millie, having a surplus of that is a great problem to have!

Appreciate the work on the rocks and the videos, definitely nice to see it all documented.

I look forward to more updates, maybe a video of the tank when feeding to see the flow, what are you using for flow? What are your nutrient and major element levels?

Thank you for sharing! I know it is a lot of work!

Will definitely include all of that in the upcoming updates. I have had to upgrade flow with time as my frags turned into mini colonies and colonies. I started with a pair of MaxSpect XF350 and a pair of Reef Octopus Pulse 4’s. I have since added a pair of MP40s and also added another XF-350 pair. I don’t run anything at 100%. Flow steadily increases from the XF350s throughout the day. The Octo Pulses are in the back and closer to the bottom focused on making sure detritus doesn’t collect in the back. MP40s are middle and front of the tank. I have noticed increasing flow really helped with polyp extension and to an extent growth. The Achilles loves to swim in all that flow and keeps him happy. I think Octo Pulses are very under rated. They are powerful!

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird I never had too much tang aggression.

I had a ton, probably enough rock work / hiding space and enough other tangs to distract serious aggression.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back