On a budget sump and protein skimmer

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been trying to do research and trying to find a good sump and skimmer. I have found the IcecCp reef sump 15 and k1-100 from IceCap. Not only am I working with a tight budget but I’m dealing with tight spaces. My tank is a 75 gallon light stocked reef. Also need return and intake pump suggestions please.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been trying to do research and trying to find a good sump and skimmer. I have found the IcecCp reef sump 15 and k1-100 from IceCap. Not only am I working with a tight budget but I’m dealing with tight spaces. My tank is a 75 gallon light stocked reef. Also need return and intake pump suggestions please.

Bubble magus curve 5 is a good budget skimmer for a 75 gallon. Jaebo pumps are going to be your best bet on a budget. Trigger had a crystal series for sumps that are more affordable. More importantly they’re all good quality for the $$

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To the OP, in case that means what I think It means, you cannot pump from the top tank to the bottom tank and then pump back up without a large amount of water ending up on the floor pretty quickly.

There are always exceptions but it is unlikely you will have success with that.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP, in case that means what I think It means, you cannot pump from the top tank to the bottom tank and then pump back up without a large amount of water ending up on the floor pretty quickly.

There are always exceptions but it is unlikely you will have success with that.
Yeah i missed the intake pump part of the question good catch

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By "lightly stocked reef", I take that to mean this tank is already running and doesn't have a overflow, and you want to add a sump(?).. if so you would need to either drill the tank or add a hob overflow, or transfer to a drilled tank. Trying to make two pumps match flow is a disaster about to happen..

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean getting the water from the main tank to the sump and then return pump. I have someone giving me a hob overflow I made a typo. This will be my first sump I make and new to the reef hobby. And the tank doesn’t have fish just an eel and other invertebrates. I had a nasty encounter with velvet.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hob overflow will get the water to sump, you only need a return pump to get the water back up to display. As mentioned, jabeo pumps will get you the most bang for the buck. Choose something a but stronger than you think you need, you can always dial it back some. Make sure to research and understand the hob overflow so you can set it up properly

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean getting the water from the main tank to the sump and then return pump. I have someone giving me a hob overflow I made a typo. This will be my first sump I make and new to the reef hobby. And the tank doesn’t have fish just an eel and other invertebrates. I had a nasty encounter with velvet.
What brand HOB are you using? They’re not all created equal. Ideally you want one that will keep siphon during a power outage

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok good deal.

As mentioned, the bubble magus is a reasonable budget skimmer. I have used both the five, seven and nine at various points and all have performed well.

As far as sumps are concerned, if you really want to save money, getting a small glass aquarium that will fit in your cabinet will be your cheapest option. You can search for DIY sumps here on this forum.

Jebao return pumps will probably be your cheapest option.

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand HOB are you using? They’re not all created equal. Ideally you want one that will keep siphon during a power outage
So right now I’m using a canister filter and that got me through alright but retained a lot of phosphates and algae is going crazy that’s why I wanna upgrade and I didn’t know anything about saltwater and reefing. I have a mentor in the hobby that’s willing to give me his old overflow but don’t know what brand it is.

pdjemail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75G with a 20G long sump, Bubble Magus Curve 5 protein skinner, Jebao return pump, all running well for 3 years. I also use a small bubble magus filter roller, grow chaeto with a hyger under water light. Nitrate about 1 ppm

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your local marketplaces for skimmers. In Denver, there are some older ASM skimmers on there from time to time for between $20-50 that are better than many skimmers sold today. There were junk skimmer that were older, just like there are junk skimmers made today. Do your research and you can likely find a really good one for pretty cheap.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cant beat that price.......$81.00

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and the sump.....$153.00
I think get both and free shipping......
Even the pumps are on clearance.....

Heres the link for their outlet store...

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone for the help. So here’s the build I’ve put together using your guys suggestions. I got the IceCap 15 and a reefing buddy is selling me his curve 5 he’s been running for a few months and I’m getting a vivosun 800gph from amazon which I’ve ran before and have no bad experience with them yet and they’re cheap so not an issue if I have to get another. As for the overflow I’m still waiting for my other buddy to get his old overflow he’s gonna give me. Other than that, am I missing anything?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much room under the stand do you have?
How much room from the top of the sump to the bottom of the top of the stand?
What looks like it is going to fit is not necessarily what is going to fit.

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much room under the stand do you have?
How much room from the top of the sump to the bottom of the top of the stand?
What looks like it is going to fit is not necessarily what is going to fit.
So I have about 2-2.5 inches of wiggle space both sides when the sump is added but then about 35 inches going up after the sump is added. It’s half of the whole stand long ways but I don’t wanna take out the supports in the middle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back