Once copper is at therapeutic range, do you need to keep testing / dosing?

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on day 5 of QT and got to 2 ppm with Coppersafe. Fish (2 clowns and blenny) are happy and ammonia is in check. i don’t plan to do a water change for duration of QT and was wondering if copper level will slowly fade or it will stay at 2. Only thing I’m adding to tank rn is food and a little BioSpira each day. May need to top off but would do so with 2 ppm copper in RODI...

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to get it higher, like 2.5, to account for swing. Even though technically copper will stay, as long as you don't have any media that absorb copper like sand or rock, i don't think it worth the risk to not test again or not do water change at all.

Continue to water change couple times a week, test every other day or two to confirm the level. Better water quality is always good for fish. Especially for fish under medicated QT, I don't think it worth to couple dozen gallon of saltwater and test kits to subject the fish to suboptimal situation. If the fish died in QT, you lost a lot more.

OP
OP
taulgrl

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to get it higher, like 2.5, to account for swing. Even though technically copper will stay, as long as you don't have any media that absorb copper like sand or rock, i don't think it worth the risk to not test again or not do water change at all.

Continue to water change couple times a week, test every other day or two to confirm the level. Better water quality is always good for fish. Especially for fish under medicated QT, I don't think it worth to couple dozen gallon of saltwater and test kits to subject the fish to suboptimal situation. If the fish died in QT, you lost a lot more.
Super helpful! Thanks so much for the advice.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 85 42.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 97 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.5%
Back