One Clown, Two Clown, Red Clown, Blue Clown

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 13.5 gallon Evo that was ready for additional fish, and I'd been debating about getting just one clown to live with the firefish already in it instead of the more traditional pair. I found a beauty and claimed her as my own, and she's only been in the tank for a couple of days now.

What are thoughts on a single clown versus a pair? Are they happy and content? I was thinking of giving her the run of the tank (it's definitely going to be a female, she's quite dominant) but if it's healthier for them to be set up as a pair, I can look for another to add before she really settles in.

Thoughts, experience?

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally, I would recommend having a pair just because in my experience I’ve seen there a lot happier with a pair

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump with picture and video of my pretty lady.

20230721_214807.jpg

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say pair they will both be much happier. Clownfish in the wild are never single there's always multiple. There's an article written by marine biologists who study clownfish they discuss how clownfish would hunt for a pair even if it was a different species of clownfish rather than be alone its in their nature. Obviously the wild is different from an aquarium it will be fine alone but .. the guilt .

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say pair they will both be much happier. Clownfish in the wild are never single there's always multiple. There's an article written by marine biologists who study clownfish they discuss how clownfish would hunt for a pair even if it was a different species of clownfish rather than be alone its in their nature. Obviously the wild is different from an aquarium it will be fine alone but .. the guilt .
Hah! I already know that feeling. It's why I'm asking so she can be as happy as she can be. The fire fish is pretty skittish and I doubt it's going to be good company even if that were an option.

I think I will look for another. She's pretty small so even if the other ends up as more dominant I'm about 95% certain this one hasn't made the gender switch just yet.

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah! I already know that feeling. It's why I'm asking so she can be as happy as she can be. The fire fish is pretty skittish and I doubt it's going to be good company even if that were an option.

I think I will look for another. She's pretty small so even if the other ends up as more dominant I'm about 95% certain this one hasn't made the gender switch just yet.
Clown pair will be a lot safer bet over single clown and fire fish. Recently rehomed my single clown that was in my 20g… became territorial and violent as it matured and attacked all other fish.

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The gender switch doesn't happen until they pair up. All start male after the pair the bigger one changes to female. The guilt would ruin me haha my two clownfish are constantly stuck together! Goodluck :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back