One Dino Floating Around

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

So I have been battling Cyano recently and it’s really only on my substrate. Being paranoid I took a slide and in looking it looks mainly like Cyano but I saw floating around what looks like one Dino. Crazy I know but I spent a lot of time researching them when I thought I had them previously. My question is how should I got about this? If this is both what do I treat for first ?

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that unlikely, either its all cyano or its maybe all Dinos and you ID'd wrong. they would fight and kill each other
I thought the same and I also thought that the fight may be ensuing right now. Wondering if maybe I should stop treating cyano for a while.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you doing to treat cyano? and did you do the shake test on samples of the bac/algae?
I have not done a shake test, I don’t think I have heard of that before. I just received this package from BRS, have not started but planned to start today before I checked out the sample.

Attachments

• 2EE36D70-6012-477E-85B4-454D7CD7FD91.png
    2EE36D70-6012-477E-85B4-454D7CD7FD91.png
    541.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 9DBC4479-843D-4A56-87B9-D3876729B518.png
    9DBC4479-843D-4A56-87B9-D3876729B518.png
    418.2 KB · Views: 29

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done a shake test, I don’t think I have heard of that before. I just received this package from BRS, have not started but planned to start today before I checked out the sample.
take an algae sample, run it through some paper into a container with a lid. Shake it up and see what happens after a few minutes

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being paranoid I took a slide and in looking it looks mainly like Cyano but I saw floating around what looks like one Dino. Crazy I know but I spent a lot of time researching them when I thought I had them previously. My question is how should I got about this? If this is both what do I treat for first ?
If any hobbyist looked hard enough with a microscope - they would eventually find representatives of cyano, diatoms, and dinos on their surfaces.
These are widespread photosynthetic organisms in tropical reef waters.
Finding one cell doesn't make it an outbreak.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any hobbyist looked hard enough with a microscope - they would eventually find representatives of cyano, diatoms, and dinos on their surfaces.

This!^^^^^^^^^^

It's not uncommon to have dinos and cyano at the same time and mixed together but it won't be just an isolated cell. Do you have a picture of what you saw on the slide?

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my initial reason for the post and what I was hoping to hear. I honest had to look really hard to find what looked like one.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phot of another guy I caught

Attachments

• 2DD69427-5B21-42CE-81D2-4FE74A8068C4.jpeg
    2DD69427-5B21-42CE-81D2-4FE74A8068C4.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 31
  • 03B81C4D-472C-4D32-84D9-CBE485348015.jpeg
    03B81C4D-472C-4D32-84D9-CBE485348015.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like SCA
Yeah I kind of see a beak but it’s hard to say if it’s large or small since they are so hard to find. When I do find on it’s always a pretty quick swimmer. I’m wondering if letting the cyano take over for a while would be a good idea. Any other ideas on how to treat ?

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I kind of see a beak but it’s hard to say if it’s large or small since they are so hard to find. When I do find on it’s always a pretty quick swimmer. I’m wondering if letting the cyano take over for a while would be a good idea. Any other ideas on how to treat ?

If it's a quick swimmer that confirms SCA. LCA moves like a Roomba and is much more deliberate.

If you have only rare ones and don't see anything in the tank I don't think I would worry about it. If that's not true you could consider dosing phyto regularly or if a significant issue is present begin dosing water glass.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a quick swimmer that confirms SCA. LCA moves like a Roomba and is much more deliberate.

If you have only rare ones and don't see anything in the tank I don't think I would worry about it. If that's not true you could consider dosing phyto regularly or if a significant issue is present begin dosing water glass.
I would rather keep the cyano for a while than let Dinos take hold, the main thing I am trying to figure out is how long should I let the cyano take over for before its safe to start treating the cyano. Letting the cyano out compete the few dinos in my system seems like the best and most natural treatment. I also wonder if adding diatoms to the mix would be beneficial.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather keep the cyano for a while than let Dinos take hold, the main thing I am trying to figure out is how long should I let the cyano take over for before its safe to start treating the cyano. Letting the cyano out compete the few dinos in my system seems like the best and most natural treatment. I also wonder if adding diatoms to the mix would be beneficial.

Dosing water glass to elicit a diatom bloom is the treatment of choice for LCA and SCA IMO. Dose about 0.2 ml of water glass/15 gallons of water volume daily and check an ICP in a few weeks. It can take some time but it works.

All I had to do to get rid of my cyano was balance my NO3: PO4 to 100:1 and it pretty much resolved on it's own. I did a little manual removal once it got down to a very small patch on one rock.

Last edited:

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 41 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back