OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any hint of 'regret' - I wouldn't buy it. I have had tanks that tall - they are a hassle, make maintenance very difficult. Just my opinion
Thanks. You are right. However, the regret may come either way. Am I missing out on a pretty good deal? Or will I be absolutely hating it when I have it?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! And what a beautiful tank!! I have a question though. Is there that much of a difference, maintenance wise, between a fowler and a reef tank? What would you physically be doing differently?
Lighting would be the major factor! To light up corals properly at that deep would need some big time lights! 400w halides or some crazy expsensive leds lol..

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting would be the major factor! To light up corals properly at that deep would need some big time lights! 400w halides or some crazy expsensive leds lol..
True that. Having to buy new lights just might be the deciding factor not to get the tank (or, thinking out loud, should I just go fowler?)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True that. Having to buy new lights just might be the deciding factor not to get the tank (or, thinking out loud, should I just go fowler?)
Personally speaking… I think that would be an amazing fish tank! I love tall tanks for viewing fish.. you don’t have to get in it much to move corals or this or that.. lighting? Cheap and easy.. reef tank it would be a chore to pick up corals that are knocked over or not happy and move them around etc.. lighting big money! But not impossible.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the decision is about whether you want a 40" tall tank. I would not get it just because it's a "deal".

Personally, I wouldn't want it in my house, because of being difficult to work on. If I owned a fish store and could get a deal on a tank like this, I would jump on it.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish only would be easier because dealing with algae is way easier.

Black boxes would work great for lighting

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the decision is about whether you want a 40" tall tank. I would not get it just because it's a "deal".

Personally, I wouldn't want it in my house, because of being difficult to work on. If I owned a fish store and could get a deal on a tank like this, I would jump on it.
I've been looking for a big tank for a while now, but I cannot justify paying brand new prices. Do I WANT a 40" tall tank? I would prefer a shorter, longer one. But I don't know when the next time I'm going to come across a decent deal like this.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 long x 40 h x 30. I think it's a decent deal, but without saying what the price is, what would you consider a good deal?
i have a 72x30x24 and its hard for me to reach the bottom of the tank on a step stool.... forget about me reaching the middle of the tank...

40 " tall would be a BIG OLD NOPE from me..... unless you got inside the maintenance is going to be a nightmare.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back