Orange Guttatus Birdsnest With teal polyps

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this since May 20th the frag was only $30 and with the super long neon teal colored tentacles and orange body this is very relaxing to watch after a hard day of work. I put the picture of when I first purchased it to give you an idea on the growth rate, hope you enjoy.
7E0C3DC5-3EA6-42ED-9352-EF11BE25FD90.jpeg
7CDA83C0-D63C-4C29-8F11-9A5675B9A1D4.jpeg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember mine grew so fast it broke the base branch and fell over after 1.5 years. Went from a nice frag to a 12” colony in that time. I won’t keep them anymore but I still like birdsnest and a species specific tank full of the different varieties would be really cool, and I have yet to see one yet. Every single birdsnest grows very quick with a small exception on the Ponape while it’s still small.
I don’t understand how people have problems keeping these. I have seen people say they die from small alk fluctuations very easily but I never had that problem thankfully. The problem I had was algae getting into the center once they got large enough to have dead zones inside which would eventually stress or kill off the rest of the colony.

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember mine grew so fast it broke the base branch and fell over after 1.5 years. Went from a nice frag to a 12” colony in that time. I won’t keep them anymore but I still like birdsnest and a species specific tank full of the different varieties would be really cool, and I have yet to see one yet. Every single birdsnest grows very quick with a small exception on the Ponape while it’s still small.
I don’t understand how people have problems keeping these. I have seen people say they die from small alk fluctuations very easily but I never had that problem thankfully. The problem I had was algae getting into the center once they got large enough to have dead zones inside which would eventually stress or kill off the rest of the colony.
Yea they do grow fast but I love certain colored birdsnest and once they get the size I want I keep trimming them. I only have two others in the tank , a green with purple polyps and a really nice pick thick branch with blue polyps and they are spaced equally one in the center one more to the left and the last one to the right. I’ve had the problem where algae grows on them before but I’ve become more experienced over time and really crank my water flow with nitrates phosphate both low and obvious a stable alkalinity. I plan on getting a few nice acros too plus some really nice plate Corals or something amazing for the bottom. I almost gave up this hobby after my last crash but so glad I stuck with it cause I learned a lot from the mistakes in the past.

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think they prefer to attach to liverock quicker than frag plugs? I have them on the plugs still to make sure that's where I want them before I buy a few acros

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back