The House of Orange

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, normal for a Bean Animal setup. As long as the return can handle the head from your pump, you're good to go. I would tee it off for added flow.
Just wondering since I’m an amateur at this but…if I tee it and add another return line does that mean it will have to be an additional line that comes up and over the back wall…or would it be better to just do 2 drains & 2 returns?

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about 2 drains and 2 returns, but I do know it's Tank Thursday in hurrr

20230531_134319.jpg

He's out searching for @Fish Styx and pootie tangs.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering since I’m an amateur at this but…if I tee it and add another return line does that mean it will have to be an additional line that comes up and over the back wall…or would it be better to just do 2 drains & 2 returns?
Good morning, bud. Either way, it would be a second line. I'm a bit confused, though... do you mean two return pumps? Some folks do run two for redundancy.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, bud. Either way, it would be a second line. I'm a bit confused, though... do you mean two return pumps? Some folks do run two for redundancy.
I’m not even sure what to do Lol I have 1 return pump and 2 overflows….I didn’t know if I had to run a separate line outside of the overflow or noto_O

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not even sure what to do Lol I have 1 return pump and 2 overflows….I didn’t know if I had to run a separate line outside of the overflow or noto_O
Does the tank already have returns, either drilled through the back, or otherwise?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It has 4 holes through the bottom with im guessing bulkheads attached…2 at the bottom of each overflow. Heres what it looks like:
Okay, so in that setup, you have 1 drain and 1 return in each overflow. Since this is your first system, I wouldn't mess around with modifying or drilling it any further. Each drain (the larger holes) should be setup as a durso stand pipe. When plumbing the returns, tee it off in the center, and connect either end to each of the two returns (smaller holes). There is an abundance of info on Google on how to make dursos, and also on how to get them to run quieter. Conversely, we are all here to assist, as well. Just keep picking our brains. The collective knowledge in this thread is fairly extensive. It may take me a bit to respond these days, but I'll try my best to get back to you ASAP.

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so in that setup, you have 1 drain and 1 return in each overflow. Since this is your first system, I wouldn't mess around with modifying or drilling it any further. Each drain (the larger holes) should be setup as a durso stand pipe. When plumbing the returns, tee it off in the center, and connect either end to each of the two returns (smaller holes). There is an abundance of info on Google on how to make dursos, and also on how to get them to run quieter. Conversely, we are all here to assist, as well. Just keep picking our brains. The collective knowledge in this thread is fairly extensive. It may take me a bit to respond these days, but I'll try my best to get back to you ASAP.
I appreciate the advice! Looks like the plumbing it came with had a slightly different setup (3 drains & 1 return) but I’m gonna try and change it so I can have 2 drains & 2 returns. I have something that looks like a durso stand pipe that came with my setup…would it be alright to buy one that’s already made like this?
IMG_0393.png

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I appreciate the advice! Looks like the plumbing it came with had a slightly different setup (3 drains & 1 return) but I’m gonna try and change it so I can have 2 drains & 2 returns. I have something that looks like a durso stand pipe that came with my setup…would it be alright to buy one that’s already made like this?
IMG_0393.png
You could, yes; but, you could also make one yourself for less than $10. Just make sure that the height is right for your tank.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice, I just might have to try and make one myself then. Doesn't look like it’s too difficult to build Lol
They aren't at all, and you don't have to cement them together, either.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dropped in for a sec...yes I am still alive in case anyone was wondering//// Been swamped with the patio, the 300 salt tank and doing jobs for clients.....Have final inspection next month on patio and house addition....ciao sal

Last edited:

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well last night i noticed my UV took a vacation for good. Had a compact one from the 140 so this time I bought, should be here in a few days a 55 watt 36 inch bulb one...I was going crazy why i was beginning to get too much algae and now I have my answer. I had a so called top of the line one and now I am going with lifegard one their new design. also looking into maybe more wave makers or sea swirls...

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone...Bourbon time...Hey fish styxs where are you ? Got my new lifegard UV for the 300 today. Plan to plumb it in Sunday.
Hey there! I'm around. I've just been relatively unplugged from all social media. I had to take a break for my mental health. Been catching up on a lot of projects around the house and otherwise just being a beach bum. Congrats on the new UV system! Share some pics when it is all plumbed in.

20230615_104518.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back