Organism ID please

mvarghese84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have something growing out my live rock that appears to be a coral but Im not sure what it is because I didn't add it to the tank. Trying to identify what it is - seems harmless and kind of pretty - so I can try to nurture it.

The pic is a bit blurry because of the refraction and size not allowing my iPhone camera to focus on it so I'll describe it. It looks like a brown "branch" attached to the live rock with maroon and orange "leaves" growing along the length of the "branch." Over the last few weeks more "leaves" have appeared but the "branch" doesn't seem to be getting longer. When put under blue light only the orange part of the "leaf" really shines. The length of the "branch" is about 1 inch.

Any ideas?
IMG_6067.jpeg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have something growing out my live rock that appears to be a coral but Im not sure what it is because I didn't add it to the tank. Trying to identify what it is - seems harmless and kind of pretty - so I can try to nurture it.

The pic is a bit blurry because of the refraction and size not allowing my iPhone camera to focus on it so I'll describe it. It looks like a brown "branch" attached to the live rock with maroon and orange "leaves" growing along the length of the "branch." Over the last few weeks more "leaves" have appeared but the "branch" doesn't seem to be getting longer. When put under blue light only the orange part of the "leaf" really shines. The length of the "branch" is about 1 inch.

Any ideas?
IMG_6067.jpeg
Where did you get the rock?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was given to me by another reefer about 6 months ago so not sure on the origin of the rock
The reason I ask is because I have used LifeRock in multiple tanks now and some of the rocks have sprouted really pretty red macroalgae that looks similar to the picture you posted.
One of the best ways to tell if it is red macro (until it grows larger) is if it seems to fluoresce a bright orange. That sounds like what you have, congrats! People usually have to pay for that! :)

OP
OP
M

mvarghese84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update to this post. The macro algae is growing rapidly! I cant seem to find this specific one online so if anyone has an idea please let me know!

IMG_6078.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%

Back