ostreopsis Equipment battle plan, direction appreciated!

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best picture but based on my research here, ostreopsis
IMG_20210114162059.JPG

In the live view I also saw them swimming around in a circle as anchored to a central position.

So I have a 210 gallon dual overflow glass aquarium (72x24x29), sump has roughly 15 gallons of water in it. With rock displacement I'm guessing roughly 210gallon total system volume.

From what I read ideally is to plumb a UV in closed loop taking the water from the display and returning it to the display. Being as I cant drill my tank to do this I will have to have a line going in and a line going out, over the top of the tank to the side of my stand (not much room in the stand.

With this dino research says at least 1 watt per 3 gallons and 3 times turn over for the flow, correct?

Being there are 3 major players for UV (Pentair, AquaUV and Lifegard) I am leaning towards the lifegard. From my reading Pentairs customer service is terrible, AquaUV will require 2 bulb placements and Lifegard is the least expensive of the 3 and also has a removable/replaceable filter sleeve which I can replace when I replace the bulb. I'm guessing the 55 watt is not big enough so go the 90, correct? Looking at Lifegard Aquatics R450111 90 Watt Pro-MAX.

To feed the Lifegard I was planning on using a Neptune Cor-20 and placing a 1" flow meter after the UV to measure flow. I will place the pump on the side of the stand with the UV and have it draw water from the center of the tank (2 MP40's on each end of the tank pushing water to the middle) through 1"PVC going down the inside of the tank with slits getting bigger and bigger down the tank to pull evenly throughout the water column. Then I will T off the return from the UV and have it disperse on each side of my tank towards the front glass. Plan on running this 24/7 even after there are no signs of dino.

Sound like a good plan? Any flaws?

The only issue I can see is the max flow rate for the Lifegard Aquatics R450111 90 Watt Pro-MAX is 2800gph for Algae and Bacteria and I thought I read somewhere we want to be 80% of the max per manufacturer guidelines for optimal flow. But I also read that with ostreopsis max efficiency at battling it is 3 times tank size for turnover which is roughly 600GPH. I am guessing I will have a head pressure roughly 7ftish and that should get me roughly 1000gph with the Cor-20 at max.

So what would be my issue here? Is the pump too small to meet the manufacturer recommendation, do I ignore the this and just go with 3 times turn over, get a smaller UV, bigger pump or just run the 90 with the COR-20 at 3x?

Any help appreciated!

OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought I have, I know ideally is to run the UV directly pulling water from the DT and returning to the DT but...

20210114_174433.jpg

My return is currently already T'd off to 2 returns. Couldn't I plumb it in to one of the returns and put in a gate valve to control flow? I mean ideally if only need 600gph my M2 might be able to handle it, otherwise I could plumb in another pump next to the M2 that is fed from the sump and I use one of the returns for the UV and another for the main return (and not have a T from the main pump anymore). Honestly I would rater go this route if possible but I dont think the 90watt will fit in here anywhere but I might be able to manage the 55watt 3".

Am I really losing effectiveness combating Dino's pulling water from the sump through the UV with the return directly into the DT? Granted most of the water is skimmed from the top of the tank (although my overflows have slits half way down).

(Side note, I have stopped dosing vinegar, was only dosing 6ml per day before the dinos)

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back