Our Frag Standards

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

One of the things that we wanted to let you know about Unique is that we make it a point to only send you fully encrusted frags. That means that they are healed and growing on the plug before they ever leave our facility. No fresh glue! This is a random Acropora frag from our inventory:

2012-08-25 01.18.43.jpg

In fact, we are only half-joking when we say that the only freshly-glued things that leave our facility are our fingers! We are very much against the "chop shop" mentality that simply is not in the best interest of the corals, the market, or the hobby itself.

We just thought you should know, so that you're confident that you're getting the best quality frags possible when you order from us.

Acropora Crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great! Ther are way to many chop shops out there! I am also tired of seeing coral pics taken under heavy actinics, this is a joke as any coral will look good under them. You see other sites sell these corals for absolutley crazy amounts with these pics and I am sure there corals do not look half as good under regular lighting!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great! Ther are way to many chop shops out there! I am also tired of seeing coral pics taken under heavy actinics, this is a joke as any coral will look good under them. You see other sites sell these corals for absolutley crazy amounts with these pics and I am sure there corals do not look half as good under regular lighting!

We are so in agreement with you, Chris! As a hobbyist, I was frustrated with receiving freshly-cut, freshly glued pieces of coral from vendors, many of which RTN'd out in days, because they did not have a chance to settle in. As a business person, I would much rather take a little longer to release corals for sale, knowing that they are the best quality that we can produce. We just can't offer our fellow reefers a product that we wouldn't buy ourselves.

As for the photography, we really walk a fine line: You don't want to show corals with over-saturated, excessively blue coloration. By the same token, some pictures just don't do corals justice. We are constantly refining our photography work to assure that our customers that the coral they will receive looks as nice, or better than the one they see on our website. In fact, we get a lot of feedback from reefers who tell us that our photos "undersell" the corals tremendously, as they look WAY more colorful than the ones they receive from us! I kind of like that complement!

Little things, like photographing the corals against darker backgrounds, really can make a difference in the color, bringing it out even better than the shots taken on the sand do- without us overly-post-producing pictures. We'll keep refining these processes to assure that WYSIWYG really means "What You See Is What You Get"!

-Scott

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 25.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 55 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back