OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shout out to rhinos reef for the media cups and @SaltwaterandLime, sorry I stole your idea but they are to awesome to pass up!! Thanks for working with rhino to get the design going!!
92CA5F47-B0F5-4B0C-A8CB-C7F7DE340B3A.jpeg

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using in yours? Just filter floss or do they have compartments or levels?
They are literally just a basket. I had asked him to make them 5 inches deep with about the top inch of so solid to force water to pass through the media. I currently have only filter floss in them and have been changing it every other day

ohioreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are literally just a basket. I had asked him to make them 5 inches deep with about the top inch of so solid to force water to pass through the media. I currently have only filter floss in them and have been changing it every other day
Thanks for the reply. I am gonna order a set for my upcoming 49 lagoon. I may try to put some carbon or other media in under the floss as well

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing much new to report as the cycle is in full swing on both tanks. Made a frag rack for the lagoon and placed it in the tank. Should have enough space for at least 150 frags!!
5792615A-BA32-41B1-B4E4-A759ABE6C8BB.jpeg

apex has been running like a champ since getting the PH probe calibrated and hooking up the optical sensors for the ATO. Now if only the skimmer would break in and quit the micro bubbles everything would be on track!

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which skimmer did you go with? I'm still struggling with the aquamaxx although it's skimming very well, I still get bubbles after months

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the aquamax ws1. It’s gotten better I think but still a lot of them. I may have to figure out something to do as a bubble trap at the return section.

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the aquamax ws1. It’s gotten better I think but still a lot of them. I may have to figure out something to do as a bubble trap at the return section.
I ended up building a little acrylic stand for it to raise it up higher in the water, and then put a very coarse sponge after it

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up building a little acrylic stand for it to raise it up higher in the water, and then put a very coarse sponge after it
I had some extra egg crate. So used that for a stand and put some filter floss pad on the exhaust side. To fine and water was overflowing the pad. Need something more coarse.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go asked o setup a tank for my nephews fifth grade class. The kids raised almost $300. I donated a 20 long I had lying around. I need to add some more rock to it. But I’m pleased how it came out especially on the cheap. This will be just a fowlr tank so shouldn’t be to difficult to manage.
C71E8A9C-F488-4623-A94F-CFAF89CCA90E.jpeg
61C992BF-BCED-43AC-A0B8-4B7E2B1B886C.jpeg

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ws1 is still making micro bubble but not nearly as bad as on initial setup. I added an airline and cheap air valve I had laying around to fine tune the air draw to the skimmer. That has helped immensely! Tank has been cycling for 3 weeks with bottle bacteria. Used dr. Tim’s and daily doses of microbacter 7. I am fully cycled and will be ordering the first fish from dr. Reef. Problem being is that even in louisiana the temperature has been below freezing. So waiting until next week to order when the temps are back up around 60.
image.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back