OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have maintained power and everything is bouncing back great! Lost one wrasse because I’m dumb and wasn’t putting enough oxygen into the tank. Once I got a battery bubbler everything was good. So one wrasse and one acro were my only casualties. Not bad all things considered!

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have been trucking along. Finally rounded out my fish stock list with the last addition of a one spot foxface. Which is good because the GHA has set in in full force. Been managing with scrubbing with a toothbrush and manual removal. The fix is doing his thing to help but decided to try something different. Always planned on using my spare chamber as a refugium. Have had the dual cheatomax light on the back of the tank since fill up. Well decided to
Experiment with an ATS of sorts. So with a total of 8 bucks invested we are off and running! We shall see how it goes!
IMG_0762.jpeg
IMG_0763.jpeg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have been trucking along. Finally rounded out my fish stock list with the last addition of a one spot foxface. Which is good because the GHA has set in in full force. Been managing with scrubbing with a toothbrush and manual removal. The fix is doing his thing to help but decided to try something different. Always planned on using my spare chamber as a refugium. Have had the dual cheatomax light on the back of the tank since fill up. Well decided to
Experiment with an ATS of sorts. So with a total of 8 bucks invested we are off and running! We shall see how it goes!
IMG_0762.jpeg
IMG_0763.jpeg
I did something similar to that in a IM Lagoon 50. It worked sort of. I don't run it anymore. I would try to move the screen a little farther over away from the light and also rough up the screen pretty good if you didn't already do that. Makes it easier for the algae to take hold. Good luck.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did rough both side of the screen before I dropped it in. I may have to shorten it a bit. It bends in the middle away from the light which may be good or bad. I’ll let it ride for a bit and see how it goes. I think it’s probably going to be a short term thing until the foxface has a chance to really settle in and start taking out the GHA in the display. He’s putting in the work already.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since the last update! Tank has been filling in with coral. Have finally finished my fish stocking after many loses for one reason or another with new shipments in but I’m happy with the final list.
Clown pair
Adorned wrasse
Mccoskers wrasse
Cherub angel
One spot foxface
Tomini tang
Been running moonshiners for the last 6 months or so and I’m really happy with it!
Parameters are rock stable and growth is starting to come in. Have lost one or two acros mainly from a 60 hour power outage we had in the midsummer. Working on getting rid of some bubble algea that is working it way in. Thinking I’m over feeding the foxface and he has no interest in the bubbles. Have to starve him out a bit. Here is the most recent FTS.
IMG_0883.jpeg

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a beautiful flame angel from petco. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful! He is in the acclimation box for another few days. In other news. My DIY algea scrubber that cost all of 3 dollars is starting to pay off!! Harvested about a softball size was of GHA this afternoon!
IMG_0902.jpeg
IMG_0903.jpeg

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided I was tired of filter floss in the media cups. Locked up a pair of adapters from Kreative reef to use 2.75 inch filter socks. Wanting to see if they do a better job and keeping the water clean. Also released the flame angel. So far the other fish have kept the little guy up in the corner of the tank with some minor chasing. No nipped fins or anything like that yet. The fit and cut on the filter sock adapters is top notch!!
IMG_0905.jpeg

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a rough last few weeks, tomini tang ended up with some type of bacterial infection. Trapped the tang and treated him with kanaplex in my QT setup. But ultimately lost the fight. My one spot foxface has looked lonely ever since.

Last week had a pump failure wipe out all of my acros. With the exception of the one really ugly one. So after pulling a bucket full of skeletons from the tank I put in a call to my buddy who is the aquatics manager at petco. He got me a new Scopas tang, that is gorgeous, and a diamond watchman goby to help keep the sand bed clean as I have had some cyano issues.

Now it’s time to let things settle and start rebuilding with a few acros.

But on a side note. Since the failure my tank which has always been a bit hazy is the clearest it has been since I set it up! Take the little wins.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little late update! Added a Scopas tang and I’m so glad I did. Beautiful fish. Was able to save one 1/4 inch nub of an acro. It has started to color up. My setosa that I thought was completely dead showed one polyp. That polyp has spread and the skeleton has started to grow more and more polyps. Things are looking up!!

Lagoon reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
man that's crazy reading all your corals were almost wiped out by a failed pump too! It definitely sucks! Which pump was it and how did the failure happen?

also how are you liking the new filter socks with those adapters vs running filter floss?

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the stock Tideline pumps in the tank. Had one fail about 6 months ago. All my acros paled out and then bounced back after I replaced the pump with a cheap Amazon pump I had laying around. Of course, said I need to change the other one out to a new pump and didn’t. That one failed and wiped out my sticks. I have two new jebao dc pumps coming in today to replace the Amazon pumps I have in right now.

I love the filter socks. Now I have the sock and adapter in one side and the other side I have my 3d printed cup with floss in it. Seems to be a good combo. May end up going back to double socks once I put the new pumps in and can dial in the return flow.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just switched out the cheap no name Amazon pumps to jebao dcp 2500 dc pumps. Man these throw a lot of water. I have them turned down all the way! I wish they would go just a little lower but right now things have matched up in the sump area and there is a noticeable difference of the flow in the tank. They are dead silent compared to the pumps that were in there to begin with. I have a jebao dc pump in my 25 lagoon that I have had running for about 5 years so hopefully these pumps won’t fail and kill my sticks like the last pumps.
IMG_1045.jpeg

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to ditch the filter sock on the one return side. The flow from the new pumps is too much for the 2.75 sock to handle. Went back to dual media cups and all seems to be well right now. Also the acro nub I saved is starting to grow again so I went all out on the Fraghouse coral end of the year sale and got 17 new acros that will be in on Friday!! Couldn’t beat 17 pieces for 243 shipped!!

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As they sit right now with the mounts as high as they go they are about 9.5 above the water line.
This is my setting right now.
IMG_0955.png

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back