Overdosed alkalinity slightly help

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I overdosed my alkalinity so that my ph went from 8.0 to 8.1 and my alk went from 9.6 to 7.2 my calcium and magnesium are both at the top of their ranges. I have a all in one doser will alkalinity reset back to the high range if I give everything time to go down. Are LPS fine if the alk is 7.2 and cacium is 470. My magnesium hit 1520.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you clarify? You say you overdosed alkalinity, but the number you give is lower than what you say the initial level was.

If you're working in dkh, 7.2 or 9.6 are within the acceptable range for most corals, so don't do anything drastic. Very slowly move back to where you want to be. Your alkalinity and calcium should come down on their own. mag of 1520 is also in the "don't panic" range and will come down on its own.

Can you explain your all in one doser?

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you clarify? You say you overdosed alkalinity, but the number you give is lower than what you say the initial level was.

If you're working in dkh, 7.2 or 9.6 are within the acceptable range for most corals, so don't do anything drastic. Very slowly move back to where you want to be. Your alkalinity and calcium should come down on their own. mag of 1520 is also in the "don't panic" range and will come down on its own.

I agree with all this. Either way, everything is in an acceptable range. Don't do anything drastic. Let it come down on it's own. I'm still dealing with swinging ALK in my tank within about the same range you mentioned. It's all LPS and nothing has been bothered by it.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tropic marins all for reef

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The ph went up and everything else went up alk went down I think becaise the ph went up .1

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The high mag and cal seem consistent, but the alk would make more sense if you've accidentally transposed those numbers. Or you panicked and the alk testing is wrong (it happens). Take a breath, go for a walk, and re-test alk.

A pH change of 8.0 to 8.1 won't plummet your alk that way. Maybe if it precipitated, but that would also drag down the calcium number.

Either way it's done now, the best thing would be to do nothing except daily testing to monitor things for a week or so, as your all-in-one doesn't allow you to target one specific element. If the alk remains consistently lower than you want it, you can nudge it up a little each day with plain old baking soda.

Last edited:

CurrentCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, after adding corals or fragging the alk will swing. As stated above just monitor and if the numbers are trending down then that would indicate you need to increase dose. I use the BRS calculator to determine how much more I should dose. Remember- you should dose equal parts of alk and cal.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 27.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back