Overflow box filter help

Danielv508

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I am new to the forum. Let me first start by saying I just broke down I 70 gallon tank that I've had going for over a year with no problems. I'm pretty sure I know what you were all going to say but here it goes when I did the 70 gallon I did not want to hear any noises in my Poler would deal with the problems of the sump so in the 70 I ran the overflow box as a filter through media live rock filter pads then down to the pump and back into the tank. I never really had any problems with the tank when I had the water tested in the water was always crystal clear. Now I just decided to upgrade to a 120 tank oceanic tech series. The center overflow is bigger than the 70 gallon in the 70 gallon when I did my water changes was right around 5 gallons to empty the overflow through the bulkhead that I put in the bottom. My question is does anyone see a real problem with using this design I have the new tank up and running with filter pads at the top running on the light diffuser plastic stuff you get from Home Depot Then through live rock then down to the The pump where it is pump back into the tank. The water was crystal clear obviously a day later and I'm hoping to have no problems with this tank but because the tank is much larger I was just wondering if anyone saw any problems down the road. I am pretty good about doing my water changes every week also. And I do run hang on back protein skimmer which was designed for a 75 gallon tank but is working fantastic on the new tank.

OP
OP
D

Danielv508

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if the picture went through but this is what the filter look like on the 70

image.jpeg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused....but that's easy to do.

Are you using the plumbing that came with the overflow (a durso standpipe draining through the bottom bulkhead), or is that a HOB overflow that is sucking water out of the overflow? And you have live rock in that overflow as well????

Either way, my concern would be that filter pad clogging up with gunk and now causing a flood.

What am I missing?

OP
OP
D

Danielv508

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the internal overflow with no pipes coming out of the tank the water flows in to the overflow through filter pads through live rock down to the bottom to a pumpkin gets pumped back into the tank there was nothing on the outside of the tank to do with water other than the hang on back protein skimmer. The tank originally had for bulkhead fittings three of them a plugged with PVC caps one of them is a drain so that's how I do my water changes

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! I'll be blunt, I don't like it. You've turned your overflow into a canister filter...and I don't like canister filters for saltwater tanks...unless you thoroughly clean them weekly. The rock will trap detritus which will then decomposed and now put nitrates and phosphates back into your tank.

You've got the overflow. Throw a sump under there and use that overflow the way it was designed.

JMTC.

OP
OP
D

Danielv508

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what I thought someone would say . The only thing that I'm thinking is when I open that bulkhead I am draining all the water out of the something hopefully the bad comes out with it. Like I said I had it on my 70 gallon for a little over a year and never really had a problem with the water.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it that way, but like Redfishbluefish said... you turned your overflow into a canister filter with all the flaws associated with them. It's so easy to just throw a tank under that and have a sump. No seeing a skimmer sticking up from behind the tank, easier maintenance ect. But hey! If it works for you then keep on truck'n.

For the record... I don't like it either... I prefer a sump on a salt tank - just my opinion.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this a reef tank or a FOWLR?

FOWLR might work if you monitor nitrates and phosphates.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I understand it, when you opened the bulkhead on the 70 the detrius settled on the bottom would come flushing out?

I understand the concept, but man are you wasting the added value of the overflow. Try a sump. If you don't like it you can always go back to your way. But the added volume of the sump can't do much more then help.

OP
OP
D

Danielv508

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First now it's not a fowlr I have corals in it and yes just like the 70 when I open the bulkhead the detritus should flow out in theory with all the other nasty stuff that settles at the bottom of the overflow. A sensually I am running it like a bio cube or a new fruvel tank that has the sump built into the back. On the 70 I would toss the filter pads every two or three weeks and just replace them entirely obviously I have to custom make my filter pads. I'm also running a bag of cemipure ? All my local fish stores seem to swear by it and I figure seeing how I'm not running a sump all the filteration is better.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back