Ozone & coral toxins

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

I have a 50mg ozone generator that I have not used in some time, I used it 24/7 at around 20-25mg and I never used a controller, because I could never smell ozone nor did I observe anything react adversely other than my skimmer increase.

I’ve started collecting some bright leather corals and I was thinking about using it to counter any toxins that may be released by the corals. My question is, does anyone know how much ozone is required to destroy the toxins? Is it only a small amount of ozone required?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

I have a 50mg ozone generator that I have not used in some time, I used it 24/7 at around 20-25mg and I never used a controller because I could never smell ozone nor did see anything react to the unit, other than my slimmer produced more.

I’ve started collecting some bright leather corals and I was thinking about using it to counter any toxins released by the corals. My question is does anyone know how much ozone is required to destroy the toxins? Is it only a small amount required?
I've been keeping Green Nephthea Leathers for as long as my tank has been running and I have never had any issues that led me to believe the coral was producing toxins that were enough to harm corals and fish. That being said, I always run more than the normal amount of carbon on my tank anytime I frag my leathers, but like right now I have no carbon running on the tank and everything is fine. If you're worried about the toxins, I would just run carbon and replace it every other week or so.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is any data on this topic, not even a known structure for purported leather coral toxins.

I don't doubt the possibility that they exist, but without details like a known structure, it is unlikely you can get reliable info on if ozone degrades them, and how readily.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back