Painting sump glass and trim different colors. Which should I paint first?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm painting the glass on my sump white on three sides and the black trim blue. Which should I paint first? The reason I ask is that I don't know which surface will tolerate the blue painter's tape when I do the other. I have Krylon for the trim and an enamel for the glass. Should I do the trim first since this paint bonds to the plastic? I don't want the paint to peel off when I remove the painter's tape. I'm open to suggestions!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd paint the glass first. The reason is that it is easier to apply the tape slightly under the frame when going to paint the frame. Any you're right...let the glass paint dry completely and use a good low adhesion painter's tape when you tape off the already painted surfaces.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd paint the glass first. The reason is that it is easier to apply the tape slightly under the frame when going to paint the frame. Any you're right...let the glass paint dry completely and use a good low adhesion painter's tape when you tape off the already painted surfaces.
Is the regular blue tape good? Or do they make one with even less adhesive?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can actually purchase a "delicate surface" painter's tape that is specifically for taping freshly painted surfaces. However, I think you can get away with regular painter's tape (the blue stuff), if you put in on just before ready to paint, and pull it off just after painting.

thrasher1472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id do glass first as well, be careful around the trim because paint can run behind trim and be able to see it from the front. I have always painted back glass black so never noticed but the last one I painted light blue and you can see a run or two. Once it gets in there you cant get it out.

I used frog tape or something like that, green and came in plastic container. I originally bought it just for the container to keep the edges of my tape clean and straight. The stuff works great and I use to laugh at it when buying blue tape.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is:
image.jpeg

This was in the middle of painting it. I tried something different for the trim and it worked. I took an extra piece of acrylic I had that was the length of the tank and used it as a physical barrier when I did the trim. I held it under the trim and sprayed several coats lightly. It protected the white and made for very clean lines. I didn't have to tape any painted surfaces and it turned out great! I don't know if that makes sense in words, but I'll post pics after getting back from Reef-a-Palooza!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back