Pajama cardinal no tail fin.

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I was hoping I could get some answers to why my cardinal lost his tail fin.

I have 3 of these guys in QT and have been in there for a week now, when I got them from lfs last week they were the only ones they had and all by themselves in there aquarium so I bought them all due to the schooling aspect. When I bought them home I observed them carefully and this one had its fin and today I noticed it totally gone. I don’t suspect it’s diseased but I could be wrong, I don’t see any evidence of anything by my observations and was thinking that this one particular fish is being bullied possibly? I do see him usually away from the other 2 and I do see him being chased every now and then, just a quick dive toward him type thing and that’s about it.

Would someone know if it’s diseased or being eaten possibly, also will this fin grow back?

Thank you kindly and hope your having a wonderful day!!

IMG_7668.jpeg IMG_7667.jpeg IMG_7666.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinals have a thing for turning on each other - that looks like aggression damage to me. Damage that far easily gets infected.
Best to treat that one with an antibiotic like kanaplex to try and treat it.
Typically when it progresses to the bone, chances of survival are slim.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinals have a thing for turning on each other - that looks like aggression damage to me. Damage that far easily gets infected.
Best to treat that one with an antibiotic like kanaplex to try and treat it.
Typically when it progresses to the bone, chances of survival are slim.
Oh that is not the news I wanted to hear but thanks for the information i really appreciate it. ok I will start to treat it and hopefully he doesn't die. I hope it's not to far gone and that he pulls through.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone I was hoping I could get some answers to why my cardinal lost his tail fin.

I have 3 of these guys in QT and have been in there for a week now, when I got them from lfs last week they were the only ones they had and all by themselves in there aquarium so I bought them all due to the schooling aspect. When I bought them home I observed them carefully and this one had its fin and today I noticed it totally gone. I don’t suspect it’s diseased but I could be wrong, I don’t see any evidence of anything by my observations and was thinking that this one particular fish is being bullied possibly? I do see him usually away from the other 2 and I do see him being chased every now and then, just a quick dive toward him type thing and that’s about it.

Would someone know if it’s diseased or being eaten possibly, also will this fin grow back?

Thank you kindly and hope your having a wonderful day!!

IMG_7668.jpeg IMG_7667.jpeg IMG_7666.jpeg
This has been severely bitten off and i would be shocked if it grew back to near normal.
What other fish are in the tank with it and this is progressive- how long has this been going on?

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no other fish, just 3 total in qt tank, I only had them for a week so far and I’ve noticed this particular one not always close to the other two, I see him off on his own a lot. I was just watching the qt tank for the last 10 min and he’s being chased by one of the others, he’s actually darting towards the other two constantly.

In regards to the tail if I look carefully and closely there is some of the rear fin left, not much but I can see it. It’s just not coming up in the photos. But very little at best.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back