Palythoa heliodiscus OR Palythoa mutuki

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been getting alot of colonies with these paly's on them the past few months.They are starting to grow on me.I think I like them.Anyone have any?Post your pics.And don't quote me on this ID.

Here is one colony with a mix of both.
acrosSept2006101.jpg

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fact that those polyps are completely alone, and not physically connected to other polyps......highly suggests they landed on the zoa colony.

i.e....they are some sort of rock anemones in your zoas.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think those are rock anemones.....I have some that are like that and do seem to seperate once the buds come off. The tend to not have any matting what so ever and stand alone.....They are some type of what we would call back in the day protopalythoa....

Here is a pic of the ones I fragged out of my eagle eyes...This picture they are still in my eagle eyes though.

DSCN9698.jpg

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeppelin
The Vietnam zoas do they come in on a thin branch sps or on a plate looking coral? I have a few of the same ones that came from Tonga. As for the ones pictured I'm not sure where they came from.I will call and ask next week.

OP
OP
R

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azurel said:
Mine came in on a very holy rock that has a sponge growing into it.....

I get alot of the Eagle Eyes and Radioactive Dragon Eyes that come in on dead thin branch sps of some kind.One day I hope to get one with the acro still alive.I have not ordered any in awile though.About 6 months ago I ordered 20 colonies and all of them came in with Dragon and Eagle eyes.I didn't think I was ever going to get rid of them.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten a few, too that had the Paly's on them mixed in with the zoas. Some have come in on old acro type skeletons, and some have come in on normal live rock pieces. Some seem to be connected under the mat of zoas (like the zoas are overgrowing the Paly's only at the mat). I couldn't tell you where they are from, though. Maybe the LFS would know...

Reef Gardener

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the description of free standing from jreimers gallery I'd say the Mutuki.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back