Palythoa ID please...

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I got these gold palys in a live sale here on reef2reef, and had 2 polyps when I got them 2 months ago, now they have 8 heads! Their fast growers and a gold/yellowish color and has gold skirts and gold body with bright gold dots looks all over the inner circle. Also, they seem to have that line down the middle like all palys do but seems to also have another line intersecting it like a bullseye....my camera really really stinks but tried to take the best pic I could....any ideas? thAnks!
Screenshot_2018-04-25-02-40-48.png

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well me and my wife's phones can't pick up the coral very good at all when the blues are on....I tried and tried last night but was really difficult... I'll try again tonight bc those are on of my favorites at night bc they hope so bright!! Beautiful paly!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of these. They are pretty abundant in our area, almost all reefers have them, and get passed around during swaps. They grow fast, pretty durable. Under high light stalks are small and color is more whitish, under low light they are more pink, with shorter stalk and bigger skirt

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!!!! What in the world are these called?? I love them! They are very gorgeous under blues at night and love how aggressive they are when feeding

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a better pic.... I started with two polyps, and they were the middle orange polyp...now I look and the two right small ones are kinda pink. I'm guessing as they get bigger they will turn oarnge/goldfish like the bigger ones....but the more I look at all the Mohawks on the internet, it just looks more and more different.
Screenshot_2018-04-25-20-00-33.jpg
.....dunno, but if you say that's what it is, I guess that's gotta be it.....

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was kind of thinking either fairy dust palys or maybe golden God paly, but yeah when things are just right, they do grow like a weed! Lol ...but I wouldn't mind if they did grow all over this rock! Especially when they start to grow with other palys and morph....would be cool to see the outcome

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it matter what it is called :-0) . If you find them nice, thats all matter. Though they grow like weed, i dont find them as evasive as gsp or as painful as blue polyps. They have never been a issue that i can not deal with mechanically, without much effort

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it matter what it is called :-0) . If you find them nice, thats all matter. Though they grow like weed, i dont find them as evasive as gsp or as painful as blue polyps. They have never been a issue that i can not deal with mechanically, without much effort

I guess it doesn't matter to some folks what the names are, but just personally like to know the names of the zoas and palys that I'm keeping...never know, could have one that isnt on the id list and could help in id'ing ! Just personal preference!
But hey thanks very very much everyone for all the comments, appreciate your time!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 92 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back