Pentair Aquatics SMART UV 40 WATT On Red Sea Reefer XXL 750

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of purchasing this UV Sterilizer, but it is 43 3/4 " long. Measuring the stand, it does not look like it will fit anywhere inside the stand itself besides maybe on the top. I do not have a fish room or basement to install it and was wondering if anyone has this unit and how they installed it?

Pictures would be great and much appreciated!

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, its right behind my stand. I run in 24/7, have had it for over a year and havent lost one fish to disease since.

20190417_205752.jpg

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, its right behind my stand. I run in 24/7, have had it for over a year and havent lost one fish to disease since.

20190417_205752.jpg

So you installed it on the bottom behind the stand, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks for the pic!!!

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you installed it on the bottom behind the stand, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks for the pic!!!

Yeah, it wouldnt fit in my stand, just make sure you run the pump slow enough to kill parasites and you tilt the uv to get the air bubbles out before u lay it flat.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it wouldnt fit in my stand, just make sure you run the pump slow enough to kill parasites and you tilt the uv to get the air bubbles out before u lay it flat.

I watched a few videos of them installed, but unfortunately they were all standing up in a fish room. I didn't know if you could lay them down or not and if so how to get all the air out. I will either stand it straight up behind the tank or lay it down. If I lay it down, I will definitely make sure to tilt it to get the air out first. I have a few pumps in the 200 - 250 GPH range that should be slow enough for the parasite killing range for this UV sterilizer so I should be good.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines behind my couch lol

How far is the couch from the tank? That's not really an option for me because my couch is pretty far from the tank, but if it was closer I would consider that. It's easier to move a couch and have room to work with than to fit it behind the tank. Fortunately I did leave about 8" from the tank to the wall so I have some room to work with. :)

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would mount it to the back of the aquarium stand, at an angle with the input low near the floor and the output up higher so air can escape when you turn on the pump. I'd also position the upper part near the end of the cabinet where you can easily remove and replace the UV bulb for maintenance.

UV.jpg

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would mount it to the back of the aquarium stand, at an angle with the input low near the floor and the output up higher so air can escape when you turn on the pump. I'd also position the upper part near the end of the cabinet where you can easily remove and replace the UV bulb for maintenance.

UV.jpg
Another great idea. I have to see how heavy it is first and make sure the back of the stand can handle the weight, but if it can I will most likely try something like this.

Thanks!

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t move my aquarium and the sump and tech is all contained in the stand. No space in the stand for the sterilizer.

The couch was right next to the tank, so that’s where it went!

Blakjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post...would you mind sharing pictures of the plumbing? I’m interested in whether you guys are hard plumbing with pvc or soft with tubing. I’m also interested in how you’re pushing the inlet (independent pump or manifold) and where you’re dumping the outlet (direct into the tank or back into the sump). I currently do not have a manifold but was debating putting one in. I have 220 tank with a 40 sump. Not much room for another pump

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it standing upright next to my sump, in a different room. You could always hide it in a cabinet next to your tank if needed?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya these things are much bigger then they even seem haha. I run two on a 180 and they didnt fit where I first planned. They are absolutely worth it though!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 47 43.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 50 46.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back