Peristaltic Pump

Jamie Segner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at purchasing a brushless master flex peristaltic pump for my calcium reactor and I saw a thread that gave brushless variants model numbers. The 7523-60 variant of the master flex has popped up on eBay and I am thinking of getting it. I currently have a brushed motor version. I was hoping the masterflex would be drowned out by other noises in the sump but unfornately it's pretty loud. I am looking for a quieter/brushless version. For those of you that have a brushless variant or the 7523-60, how quiet is it? I am looking to have it in my living room and I hoping for it to be nearly inaudible but maybe that's unrealistic. TIA!

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at purchasing a brushless master flex peristaltic pump for my calcium reactor and I saw a thread that gave brushless variants model numbers. The 7523-60 variant of the master flex has popped up on eBay and I am thinking of getting it. I currently have a brushed motor version. I was hoping the masterflex would be drowned out by other noises in the sump but unfornately it's pretty loud. I am looking for a quieter/brushless version. For those of you that have a brushless variant or the 7523-60, how quiet is it? I am looking to have it in my living room and I hoping for it to be nearly inaudible but maybe that's unrealistic. TIA!

Well I can tell you the Spectrapure Liter Meter 3 pump is a dead silent peristaltic pump. You can also add 2 cheaper peristaltic remote pumps off of it. It's not cheap, but not too bad, and is programmable. Has an enormous 60ft range of water movement. Check out Spectrapure's website. They also make a great peristaltic ato pump that is cheaper and may fit your needs.

Ewilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can tell you the Spectrapure Liter Meter 3 pump is a dead silent peristaltic pump. You can also add 2 cheaper peristaltic remote pumps off of it. It's not cheap, but not too bad, and is programmable. Has an enormous 60ft range of water movement. Check out Spectrapure's website. They also make a great peristaltic ato pump that is cheaper and may fit your needs.

Is the Liter Meter rated for full time duty, I didn't see anything on the website about it

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Liter Meter rated for full time duty, I didn't see anything on the website about it
What do you mean exactly about full time duty? Here's the LINK. It can be used as a dosing pump, an automatic water changing pump, ect... Underneath the description it has a bunch of devices that work with it. I use the ATO version, which uses the same pump in the Liter Meter. I would guess you can use it as you want, but keep in mind the peristaltic hoses inside get worn down over time and need replacing. It's not as simple as the snap-off of the Neptune DOS, but I've heard that unit can be pretty noisy. There's a contact area on their site if you need better info, but they aren't the most responsive.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean exactly about full time duty? Here's the LINK. It can be used as a dosing pump, an automatic water changing pump, ect... Underneath the description it has a bunch of devices that work with it. I use the ATO version, which uses the same pump in the Liter Meter. I would guess you can use it as you want, but keep in mind the peristaltic hoses inside get worn down over time and need replacing. It's not as simple as the snap-off of the Neptune DOS, but I've heard that unit can be pretty noisy. There's a contact area on their site if you need better info, but they aren't the most responsive.

What he means by full time duty is continuous use, 24/7. The spectralure is nice, but the pump the op is reffering to is a medical grade pump that’s rated for continuous use. The spectrapure is also nowhere near the quality of a Cole Parmer master flex. They are used to keep people alive in hospitals

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What he means by full time duty is continuous use, 24/7. The spectralure is nice, but the pump the op is reffering to is a medical grade pump that’s rated for continuous use. The spectrapure is also nowhere near the quality of a Cole Parmer master flex. They are used to keep people alive in hospitals

Gotcha. I didn't know what a Master Flex was. Just out of curiosity... what would be a need for 24/7 operation of a peristaltic pump on an aquarium? To do very small continuous water changing?

The OP was also using it for a Ca reactor.

It does say this in the Spectrapure description: "The LiterMeter III offers features found only on expensive laboratory pumps." Don't know if that's marketing or what.

Last edited:

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I didn't know what a Master Flex was. Just out of curiosity... what would be a need for 24/7 operation of a peristaltic pump on an aquarium? To do very small continuous water changing?

The OP was also using it for a Ca reactor.

It does say this in the Spectrapure description: "The LiterMeter III offers features found only on expensive laboratory pumps." Don't know if that's marketing or what.

They are used on calcium reactors to supply a consistent amount of water through the reactor. This means you can fine tune the effluent (calcium water) coming out of the reactor without having any type of gate valve which tends to clog. In a sps dominant tank, this is the heart of stability. The litermeter is extremely accurate, but I don’t think it’s capable of running 24/7 for long periods of time.

Otherwise you have to use a pump and valve to get the right amount of flow through the reactor

Back