Ph too high

kylarse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, PH probes do degrade over time. The reference solution inside is silver chloride and over time the chloride ions are lost. Most probes are sealed and you can't replace the solution, so you have to replace the probe. A two year old probe that has been in use the whole time is probably beyond cleaning, since the reference ions are exhausted.

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get larger bottles 500 mL of calibration solutions on amazon. Look for fisher ph 7 and fisher ph 10 buffers. I put some in a small cup or old fashioned film cannister, and use it for a few weeks. Rinse in rodi water between solutions.

do you find these stay stable and accurate? otherwise no use in getting in bulk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, PH probes do degrade over time. The reference solution inside is silver chloride and over time the chloride ions are lost. Most probes are sealed and you can't replace the solution, so you have to replace the probe. A two year old probe that has been in use the whole time is probably beyond cleaning, since the reference ions are exhausted.

Maybe. I've had probes in tank water for two years that still worked OK, but they were probably higher quality probes than most hobbyists use. Anyway, the attempted calibration should tell us. :)

Last edited:

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an opinion, but I've seen pH reports from literally thousands of reefers, and I don't believe you have pH that high unless you are dosing a very large amount of a high pH additive, such as limewater (kalkwasser).

Have you recently calibrated the probe that measured that? Are the calibration fluids new? pH 10 fluid goes bad over time (drops in pH) and leads to false high in tank readings.

IMO, if it really was pH 8.8, you'd rapidly have massive calcium carbonate deposits on pumps and heaters. You might even have a white out of full tank precipitation, which people do get when overdosing limewater (I've had it happen numerous times).

I would like to agree with you but, I have checked my probe with another probe(Cal React Probe) and a test kit(Salifert). The only thing that effects the PH is when I turn the skimmer off for a long period of time, or when the CO2 runs out on the cal reactor.

You are welcome to come by and check out my tank :smile:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to agree with you but, I have checked my probe with another probe(Cal React Probe) and a test kit(Salifert). The only thing that effects the PH is when I turn the skimmer off for a long period of time, or when the CO2 runs out on the cal reactor.

You are welcome to come by and check out my tank :smile:

I'd be happier if you just recalibrated with new fluids. :)

Does turning off the skimmer make the pH go up or down?

There is just no chance, IMO, that a tank with a CaCO3/CO2 reactor runs at pH 8.8.

I've been through this discussion many, many times, and in the end the excessive pH is only a measurement error.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph buffer also has a shelf life, usually 12 months.

That's certainly true.
Especially the pH 10 buffer drops in pH a bit every time it is open to the air, and that lowering tends to lead to false high pH readings when using a lower than pH 10 solution to calibrate (if your meter assumes it is pH 10.

I have many that are quite old, and I still use them, but I have to tell my meter they are pH 9.7 or whatever they actually are, and not all pH meters allow that. :)

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many that are quite old, and I still use them, but I have to tell my meter they are pH 9.7 or whatever they actually are, and not all pH meters allow that. :)

I'm jelouse Randy, I can only imagine what you spent on that.

OP
OP
fishyman19

fishyman19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow a lot has been going on since I last posted on here! Just read through the rest of the thread and I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I ended up just getting a new pH probe and some solution, I went with the packets instead of the bottles. pH tested at 8.2 So needless to say the readings I was getting previously were way off. My guess too since during my dosing period before I stopped to see if it would drop pH any it was probably way low. It's now sitting at 8.0 in the mornings and gets to around 8.25 at night. My alk also dropped during this time to 6.4 so I spent the last 3 days bringing that back up as well with dosing 40ml 3 times a day. Last night it was sitting at 9.3. So hopefully I can start getting things back on track. I added a green hammer over the weekend to see how it responds and it seems to be doing great so I'm hopeful things are on the mend.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH tested at 8.2 So needless to say the readings I was getting previously were way off. My guess too since during my dosing period before I stopped to see if it would drop pH any it was probably way low. It's now sitting at 8.0 in the mornings and gets to around 8.25 at night. My alk also dropped during this time to 6.4 so I spent the last 3 days bringing that back up as well with dosing 40ml 3 times a day. Last night it was sitting at 9.3. So hopefully I can start getting things back on track. I added a green hammer over the weekend to see how it responds and it seems to be doing great so I'm hopeful things are on the mend.

That sounds good!

Happy Reefing. :)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 41.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 112 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.1%
Back