Phosphate and nitrates

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have 0.11 phosphates yesterday’s and 21.3 nitrate yesterday (using Hanna)
I did a water change yesterday and added some carbon
Now my phosphates are at 0.04 and nitrates at 18 what should I do since phosphates are good but nitrates aren’t

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 0.11 phosphates yesterday’s and 21.3 nitrate yesterday (using Hanna)
I did a water change yesterday and added some carbon
Now my phosphates are at 0.04 and nitrates at 18 what should I do since phosphates are good but nitrates aren’t
Not touch that, let’s maintain those numbers for a bit.
They are good numbers, over months, we will shave that a bit.
I run 15ppm nitrate forever.
Stability is king!

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not touch that, let’s maintain those numbers for a bit.
They are good numbers, over months, we will shave that a bit.
I run 15ppm nitrate forever.
Stability is king!
so im thinking light feeding and another water change in two weeks?

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to learn how your tank behaves. Your original numbers were far from terrible and if your normal maintenance, feeding and (if applicable) dosing were keeping the tank at these levels then there is no need for drastic measures.
As is always the case stability is key. Stick to a regular routine for a period of time and learn what happens. If numbers consistently creep up or down make a subtle change and observe for a period of time to see how levels are affected.
Making knee jerk changes (wc + carbon) that are not part of your normal routine won't teach you anything about the balance in your tank.
You've made a significant change to your phosphate level that may continue to drop and bottom out.
Continue as you were before and monitor how the levels change, if they head back to where they were previously then make a subtle change and observe.

Psychedelic Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would leave it alone and see where the nitrate goes on it's own. I would continue my normal feeding and water change schedule and get a feel for where the parameters want to go. I also wouldn't be upset about a nitrate level of 18. While some might consider this on the higher end, I'd have no problem with 18. I'm currently steady around 20 on the Hanna checker.

I got tired of the dosing game. Artificially swinging my parameters by what I dosed. Put Bottle A in to add phosphate, then Bottle B to lower nitrate, then Bottle C to lower some other parameter. The LFS and forums always have an answer in a bottle. The challenge was my tank was always in constant state of changing parameters and I was never quite satisfied with where the tank was.

I finally let my tank find its own equilibrium and the hobby has been much more enjoyable for me. And the tank has never looked better. I still monitor my parameters. I currently have higher phosphate (dang you, Reef Roids) that I am paying attention to. To lower, I'll feed the corals differently, skim more, and change my filter socks more frequently. I will also be more diligent with water changes. My hope is to bring it down slowly until it is more in the sweet spot for my tank. If it takes a few weeks to get there, so be it.

Psychedelic Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to learn how your tank behaves. Your original numbers were far from terrible and if your normal maintenance, feeding and (if applicable) dosing were keeping the tank at these levels then there is no need for drastic measures.
As is always the case stability is key. Stick to a regular routine for a period of time and learn what happens. If numbers consistently creep up or down make a subtle change and observe for a period of time to see how levels are affected.
Making knee jerk changes (wc + carbon) that are not part of your normal routine won't teach you anything about the balance in your tank.
You've made a significant change to your phosphate level that may continue to drop and bottom out.
Continue as you were before and monitor how the levels change, if they head back to where they were previously then make a subtle change and observe.
Great minds think alike. My wife also points out that terrible minds think alike too :(

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so im thinking light feeding and another water change in two weeks?
I would keep the same feeding amount.
The number is not out of scope, do just your normal water changes, same frequency, same amount and see where that number is going, up, down or stable.

We are looking to keep them stable, same with phosphate.

Once you see the trend, you can elect to take action to create a lower, but stable number. If your nitrate is rising from 21ppm, you can consider carbon dosing daily to achieve a “better” level or a level you feel comfortable with. This we do slowly, over months. I went from 50ppm to 10ppm, but over time, my DT likes the number 15ppm, so that’s were I stay.

Everyone needs the availability of nitrate and phosphate and unless you are pure sticks, any where in the 5-20ppm is fine.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back