Phosphate control in 20 gallon cube

nibes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sooo I have a water box cube 20, and am looking for some guidance. I have a bit of an issue with elevated phosphates. My recent results show a phosphorous of .41 ppm (.12ppm phosphate converted) and nitrates at 0. Currently have a small skimmer that I have now turned off for 12 hours to hopefully increase the nitrates a bit, I purchased phos fx, but I’m lost as to how much to introduce to reduce the phosphates. Outside of doing weekly water changes, is there anything I should be doing that I’m currently not doing? Should I use the phos fx? And how much should I use from the bag (250 ml bag size)? Thanks in advance for your assistance. For reference I’m currently using phytoplankton daily, reefroids sparingly weekly, and stopped pellets for my clowns and gone with only mysis for fish feed.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? 0.12 phosphates is NOT high. I wouldn't do anything to lower them, just work on raising your nitrates. I believe reef roids is high in phos, so if anything, decrease that and increase regular fish food.

Also, what kind of phyto are you using? Live phyto will consume nutrients but dead phyto will add N and P to the system.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? 0.12 phosphates is NOT high. I wouldn't do anything to lower them, just work on raising your nitrates. I believe reef roids is high in phos, so if anything, decrease that and increase regular fish food.

Also, what kind of phyto are you using? Live phyto will consume nutrients but dead phyto will add N and P to the system.

He means 1.2 ppm, I presume, based on the P value.

OP
OP
N

nibes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be misinformed, I thought phosphates were “ideal” between 0.01 and 0.03 ppm, and I’m using oceanmagik from algae barn. Is there something better to use?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it is more important to get nitrate up than the reduce phosphate quickly.

I’d dose sodium or calcium nitrate, ammonia, or amino acids to get nitrate up.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be misinformed, I thought phosphates were “ideal” between 0.01 and 0.03 ppm
This range is only (possibly) "ideal" for super sensitive SPS that need an ULNS. 0.01-0.03 will likely starve the majority of corals.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are not going to help to reduce phosphate much. They can help other things, so I would keep doing them.

You are going to need media if your po4 is over 1. Water changes and biological things (like growing bacteria or algae) are better at maintaining than lowering. This could take a lot of media - like a gallon of GFO changed every day with a few tablespoons in a reactor.

The po4 binds to rock and sand and will release when the water column po4 gets lower. You want to slowly lower your water column level so that the rock/sand unbind at a similar rate. Avoid driving the water column down really low and then having it bounce back up. The up/down EKG type of deal can be harmful.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back