Phosphate, nitrate and getting ready for coral

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are my numbers after a 4 gallon water change. I have a BioCube16, probably only has about 10-12 gallons of water. Everything is great. Zero nuisance algae in display. Little bit of algae in rear chambers and tubing to micro chiller but not really a nuisance.

pH - 8.15
NO3 - 10ppm
Mg - 1365ppm
KH/Alk - 8.0dKH
Ca - 440ppm
PO4 - .25ppm
1.026 SG

I use Salifert test kits.I test once a week right after water change. Once I add coral I will test more often. Do I need to worry about 10ppm nitrate and .25 phosphate if I’m about to add coral? Everything appears to be great. We will be adding a frogspawn and a few trumpet corals.

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All looks good to me, i would test right before and 2 hours after a water change. Gives you an understanding of what your consumption rate is for parameter. As you add coral, those numbers will drop.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are my numbers after a 4 gallon water change. I have a BioCube16, probably only has about 10-12 gallons of water. Everything is great. Zero nuisance algae in display. Little bit of algae in rear chambers and tubing to micro chiller but not really a nuisance.

pH - 8.15
NO3 - 10ppm
Mg - 1365ppm
KH/Alk - 8.0dKH
Ca - 440ppm
PO4 - .25ppm
1.026 SG

I use Salifert test kits.I test once a week right after water change. Once I add coral I will test more often. Do I need to worry about 10ppm nitrate and .25 phosphate if I’m about to add coral? Everything appears to be great. We will be adding a frogspawn and a few trumpet corals.

Nitrates are OK, but phosphates are higher than most would recommend. Most people and coral suppliers recommend a phosphate range of 0.03 - 0.12. You may be fine at 0.25, just keep an eye on things and don't try to lower phosphates to quickly once you add the coral. If you want to lower the phosphate, do it before you add the coral.

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IslandLifeReef is correct. I was seeing .025, with that said, stability is key. My PO4 is 0.16 higher than most like, but I dose 300mil of Alk daily due to coral growth, my parameters are stable so corals like it or have adjusted to it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%

Back