Phosphate question/frags

TheIcon308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added 15 new frags of zoas to my 40 gal breeder that i recently turned into a frag tank. The day before this, phosphates were steadily sitting at .06 with chaeto in my refugium. I tested the next day after adding the frags and phosphates were bottoming out at 0.0 so I removed about half of the chaeto. I dosed a small amount of seachems flourish phosphorus to raise it back to .06.

Tested at the same time the next day and again it was bottomed out. So I removed all of the chaeto (I grow it in another tank so It can easily be replaced). A week later, i am still having to dose a small amought of flourish phosphorus to keep it in the sweet spot for my tank. My question is, could adding these new frags increased the amount of phosphates that are being consumed by that much? And if so.... is there a better cheaper option such as a powder that I could dose for costs sake?

Also, figured I should mention that I only have a purple tang and a 6-line in the 40gal and only 1 clown in the biocube.. both tied into the same system, 60 gal of water for the full system so I don't think I can feed enough to keep up with phosphate demand....

Am I barking up the right tree? TIA

IMG_1118.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back