Phosphate question!!

Phildabong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone,

I did a RIP clean sat 5-23, didn't see a spike in N03 or P04 till sunday night 5-24 at witch point P04 shot to .279. ;Nailbiting Monday it dropped to .248 and today it's at .126, haven't changed anything other then doing the sand bed and WC. I'm not running GFO, I have 1/2 a cup of carbon because all the corals were slimming and I wanted to get any toxins out. The tank is about 5 years old and this is gonna be my 2nd grow out phase, meaning I fragged and sold all my old coral to have all the new rare pieces and well I love watching the coral grow out.

My main question is, am I being fooled? I've never see Phosphate 1/2 over night unless you set up some sort of media.

Tank Specs:
90 gal DT
30 gal sump I estimate about 100 gal total
over size cones skimmer rated for 210 gal skimming wet
8x8x4 marinepur ceramic block
Oxydator A with 2 catalysts

Tank parameters from this morning:
Temp - 78 - hanna checker
Salt - 34 ppt - hanna checker
Alk- 7.8 -Hanna checker
Cal- 439 - Hanna checker
Mag- 1400 - salifert
N03 - 5 - red sea pro reef
P04 - 0.126 - Hanna checker ULR phosphorus
PH - 8.0

OP
OP
Phildabong

Phildabong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current full tank shot and I forgot to list the fish haha
3 purple fire fish
1sailfin
1 coral beauty
1 melanurus
2 cleaner shrimp

IMG_20200526_164222~2.jpg

OP
OP
Phildabong

Phildabong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I figured it out, I believe I used to much reefroids... we'll see, I don't know what else consumes phosphate besides corals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I figured it out, I believe I used to much reefroids... we'll see, I don't know what else consumes phosphate besides corals.

all photosynthetic organisms consume phosphate, and bare calcium carbonate rock and sand binds it.

iko2thdk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe my aquarium is suffering due to ULN. Slow but inevitable necrosis of some of my corals, both LPS and SPS. Now accompanied by what looks like brown Hair algae (not slimy) on back wall of the tank and covering rocks. Phosphates are 0 (Hanna ULR) Nitrates less than 10.00 Alk 8, Calc 430, Mg 1400 or so, Sal 1.025, pH 8.1. Red Seareefer 350, active dry skimming, lighting recently checked w PAR meter to eliminate some hot spots. But, a low bioload (only 5 fish) . Should I feed more? What should I feed. AI Hydras mainly blue,UV,Royal, very little red, green or white? Help..

iko2thdk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy. I’ve been following g your phosphate dosing advice since there never seems to be any phosphates. Do you think that’s a good idea?

Sgolden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a RIP clean?
Sounds like he had algae issue and did a major clean. Causing a large spike.
If you have a good skimmer and have enough live rock, it could rebound fast.

I have had similar clean out days. Not recommended if any sps in there.

OP
OP
Phildabong

Phildabong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all photosynthetic organisms consume phosphate, and bare calcium carbonate rock and sand binds it.
Thank you for the reply!! Sorry it took so long to write back, been dealing with AC issues in South Fl.....Omg I started this post on Thursday, anyways thanks for the answer, I believe I found my answer to what was consuming the P04....Dino's

IMG_20200530_123507.jpg

OP
OP
Phildabong

Phildabong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a RIP clean?
Pretty much a large water change, rinsing your sand till you can do the drop test, and it doesn't plume nasties ( plan to make extra water for the sand being removed) I then added new water while the sand was rinsing, and added it back after sometime in Ro/Di water with prime added added the next day and used a measuring cup to add. It was the prettiest thing I did ever see. The sand just dropped, no cloud...it was Christmas!!!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back