Phosphate question

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends.
I have a question of course. Been reefing now for about 6 years. Have a 75 gallon DT 10 gallon sump with skimmer and UV the I run only when main lights out. I found aiptasia in my fuge, 5 gallon HOB. So I removed it and cleaned out, next day added aragonite for sub when I was using ceramic rings, put in a good amount of red calerpa. My nitrates always around 10-20, phosphate 0.10 - 0.06 for months. A few days later my Hanna po4 tester reads 0.0, when I get zero on that tester I go to the Hanna Phosphorous ULR tester and I get a reading of 29, next day 27, today 14. What is going on? Feed fish the same flakes twice a day, frozen 2-3 times a week, broadcast feed corals up to five times a week. I need some expert insight/advice. What do you all think of this?

Because we love to see other people reefs, here are some pics.

75 now.jpg IMG_0014.JPG 2021-3-18 16-35-14~2[1221].jpg

OP
OP
anthonygf

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to look at now. I started with a 46 gallon bowfront which had grown beautifully. Then transferred to 75 gallon then had an aip outbreak. Had to remove all rocks, fragged most corals because the aiptasia was even growing in the corals, between polyps. I tried every method to control them, worked ok for about a year until the transfer. Now all the rocks are clean and full of life, that transfer set me back a little but I will not give up. My clam has grown a little since then so I know all is good except the falling phosphate. Anyway just want too thank you all for your help and to everyone else for just being here for others.

This pic is just before the transfer. The tang I got from Petco was very poor condition 2 years ago, skinny, shreaded fins. He is fat and happy now. I knew a 46 was too small for him but I had plans on getting a bigger tank, was hoping to go bigger but funds limited me to a 75.

Attachments

• 2020 2.jpg
    2020 2.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 25

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends.
I have a question of course. Been reefing now for about 6 years. Have a 75 gallon DT 10 gallon sump with skimmer and UV the I run only when main lights out. I found aiptasia in my fuge, 5 gallon HOB. So I removed it and cleaned out, next day added aragonite for sub when I was using ceramic rings, put in a good amount of red calerpa. My nitrates always around 10-20, phosphate 0.10 - 0.06 for months. A few days later my Hanna po4 tester reads 0.0, when I get zero on that tester I go to the Hanna Phosphorous ULR tester and I get a reading of 29, next day 27, today 14. What is going on? Feed fish the same flakes twice a day, frozen 2-3 times a week, broadcast feed corals up to five times a week. I need some expert insight/advice. What do you all think of this?

Because we love to see other people reefs, here are some pics.

75 now.jpg IMG_0014.JPG 2021-3-18 16-35-14~2[1221].jpg

At 26PPB it should still be registering on the Phosphte checker.

Weird.

Are you reagents expired?

OP
OP
anthonygf

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them up well before they expire, I like testing water and do it more than most. Thanks for the quick reply. I need to raise it. Any ideas? I am going to start spot feeding corals a little more. I feed more than necessary so everyone gets some food. Ph 8.1, alk 8.4, sal 0.1025.... mag 1350, cal 482...

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well IMO. 1. The Aragonite being clean and fresh is now binding with free phosphate.

Give it some time, to get "bound" and then it'll be "full"

That's probably what's going on. But otherwise remove any other GFO for now until it starts rising steadily again.

Otherwise I'd say just keep doing what you're doing, maybe feed a little more, but keep watching it to make sure it doesn't spike.

OP
OP
anthonygf

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well IMO. 1. The Aragonite being clean and fresh is now binding with free phosphate.

Give it some time, to get "bound" and then it'll be "full"

That's probably what's going on. But otherwise remove any other GFO for now until it starts rising steadily again.

Otherwise I'd say just keep doing what you're doing, maybe feed a little more, but keep watching it to make sure it doesn't spike.
I didn't think of the aragonite sucking up the po4. Good reminder thanks. I don't use GFO and use carbon maybe 2 weeks a month. I cleaned the rocks and sand with a water pick tool and fine polishing filter, the water gets kind of cloudy but the quick filter cleans the water fast. I rechecked po4 now get a reading of 0.05 when I had 14ppb this morning.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back