Phosphate stability question.

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i don't have a media reactor currently. I drop go in a bag in my sump. My phosphates levels vary when i test but around range. My question is this. Is it normal for phosphates to go up and down. Or are they supposed to stay at a number? Pay attention to the second dot and forward.
Screenshot_20211209-223430.png

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you use gfo or feed heavy dirty food, that’s normal, not “good” but normal. You can’t really control export unless you measure out reagents like gfo or the like.
for me, unless I dose, my chaeto eats up all the phos

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you use gfo or feed heavy dirty food, that’s normal, not “good” but normal. You can’t really control export unless you measure out reagents like gfo or the like.
for me, unless I dose, my chaeto eats up all the phosphates
So what I'm taking from that it's ok!? How would I be able to get a almost solid number

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal for phosphates to go up and down if you're using media or chemicals to remove it; the media gets spent and less effective and in between dosing chemicals, it will rise.

If don't try to control phosphates, eventually the tank will likely reach a steady level; the amount of phosphate added to the tank levels out with natural removal via corals, macro, etc. Or the amount will just steadily increase until a water change.

My range from 0.05ppm to 0.2ppm. I change GFO weekly in a reactor. The number drops for a few days then rises at the end of week before changing. I feed very heavy otherwise i could get away with less GFO or not change as often. I have some phosphate chemical control, but because of ancedotes of it killing fish, corals, and clams, i don't use it anymore and the GFO works fine. BRS mini reactors are easy and quick to change out such media.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a fluctuation of 0-0.1 or 0-0.01? I assume ppm. That seems a bit big for a swing to me. But then again I’m using to working ppb and my swing is usually 5-20 ish

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back