Phosphate vs phosphorus Hanna checker

RC Reefer 5184

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have both checkers and on my last tank check I got
Hanna checker phosphate LR read - 0
Hanna checker phosphorus ULR read - 13 ppb (which converted to .04 ppm)
can someone explain what the difference is between the two and if the .04 is what I should be trying to keep or upping the phosphate number.
Looking to get my nitrates and phosphates where I need them. Nitrates where zero per Hanna checker and I have been dosing some ME coral nitrates to raise it some.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a more scientific answer (that will likely come), but the phosphorus ulr will be more precise in the low range (where you are at). if you check the hanna specs, the precision on the phosphate is +/- .04 ppm, the phosphorus is +/- 5ppb - quite a big difference. that said your phosphate checker and phosphorus, agree to each other taking the precision into account.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, what are you keeping in your tank? many things like a little nitrate... (<10ppm). phosphate (<0.1ppm)... some folks will say less than half of that is desired

OP
OP
R

RC Reefer 5184

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s why I was trying to get nitrates up and was dosing nitrate. I guess I would be ok with phosphate at .04 to .08 if I can get nitrates to register. Just wanted to see if I should shut protein skimmer off for awhile to help raise them. Or if just over feed for awhile and wait

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my nitrates sit around 3-5ppm .. i can't get them lower (at least not without doing something different) - but i have a lot of fish, and big fish

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the two results that the OP got are not inconsistent since the phosphate checker has a +/- 0.04 ppm range of uncertainty, and the phosphorus checker has a range of +/- 0.015 ppm.

Thus even if both are working perfectly according to spec (and I would not assume they are), the actual value could be anywhere from 0.025 ppm to 0.04 ppm phosphate and both would be reading right.

Aquaturbo911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the two results that the OP got are not inconsistent since the phosphate checker has a +/- 0.04 ppm range of uncertainty, and the phosphorus checker has a range of +/- 0.015 ppm.

Thus even if both are working perfectly according to spec (and I would not assume they are), the actual value could be anywhere from 0.025 ppm to 0.04 ppm phosphate and both would be reading right.
Hi Randy,

It's probably too late to let you know but I mention it for people who might be looking for the correct info.
What you measured on both checkers are correct because there is a conversion between them.

That's because of the conversion number between two measurements.
Hanna website has this info but I took a screen shot of it. Phosphate checker result needs to be multiplied by 0.3261 to get phosphorus equivalent measurement. That is true for the uncertainty number. 0.04 × 0.3261 = ~0.014

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240212_151002_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240212_151002_Samsung Internet.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 15

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

It's probably too late to let you know but I mention it for people who might be looking for the correct info.
What you measured on both checkers are correct because there is a conversion between them.

That's because of the conversion number between two measurements.
Hanna website has this info but I took a screen shot of it. Phosphate checker result needs to be multiplied by 0.3261 to get phosphorus equivalent measurement. That is true for the uncertainty number. 0.04 × 0.3261 = ~0.014

I’m not sure who you are making the comment for, but I did not make any measurements and posted the converted uncertainties above . :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back