Phosphate

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast should my 120 gallon reef go through phosphate? Mainly sps and lps, not many yet. Two days ago I brought the nitrogen up to 4 and phosphate up to 0.22 today I'm at 0.00 phosphate nitrogen still at 4 any advice?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jon

You really want to keep your phosphate very low and a good target it 0.03ppm, 0.22 is high and could start to cause algae issues.

If you have algae problems already, it could be using the phosphate as food and giving a false 0 reading

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
Rocks are still greenish no visible hairs in weeks. I just don't want to bleach the corals again. My lights haven't been on yet today corals look a lot better as the day goes on.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've had the rocks for about 20 years. Had it running for 12 years had to move and didn't start it for two years did the acid dip to the rocks got a few rocks from lfs now it's been running for five years maybe 4 I lose track of the years lately lol.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing I've done to the tank is got rid of the sand little over a year ago. Green algae has been going away ever since just slowly.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had to run gfo for 6 months. Only use carbon once a month for two days. Biopellet reactor and a good skimmer is all I use.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely the rocks are soaking some P04. Go slow and dose till it's .02, keeping N03 around 5ppm and you should be fine.

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jon, i can't believe how clean your rocks look, i don't mean to hijack your post, just after some advise if you don't mind. i've had my tank up for about a year to the day. ever since i've been battling phosphate, from 0.6!! now its down to 0.07 - 0.1. i'm dosing daily to get it lower but if i miss a few days dosing due to work it rises quickly. i have about 8 snails that bury themselves and eat left over food, is that enough?. i don't over feed, if anything i probably under feed. i'm in the process of setting up a refugium. i have tested my water in the auto top off, it came out at 0, same water i use for water changes. what caught my eye in your post was when you mentioned how you got rid of the sand/substrate and you phosphate started to drop. is this a common thing? because i'm sick of seeing green hair algae! thats all i ever seem to be cleaning of the rocks! i have a 150g dt.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah strange I'll get some coralline on the bottom for a few days then it goes away?

Do I need or want coralline algae?

If you can't keep coraline, it could be a warning sign that some of your parameters are not dialed in.

What is your Alk, Cal and Mag? What test kits are you using for all?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back