Photosynthetic algaes in the ocean

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaBiomics
I got this article on my news feed. I would like to get your interpretation as it relates to our reef keeping.

Phys.org: Study: 'Photosynthetic' algae can survive the dark.

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read! Following to see more discussion! I did run across a couple questions, however.

I’m not a biologist by no means(in fact I avoided all science that I could in college) but I noticed that carbon was one of the elements the algae was able to feed on. I’ve heard that dosing carbon can sometimes facilitate algae growth. Is this why that is the case, and furthermore, could this be why different tanks react to carbon differently, different types of algae?

My next question comes from the mention of alkalinity. It was shown that the algae buffered the acidity of the ocean, Increasing alkalinity. We know algae can hide nitrates and phosphates when over growing in a tank. Could this algae also keep alkalinity from falling despite having multiple corals? For example, in my tank, though it is lightly stocked currently(8-10 small frags in a 55), I have gone 2 weeks without a water change or dosing before even seeing my alkalinity fall by 1. At the same time, I have been fighting a major hair algae outbreak since I started testing nutrients.

Again these might not even be applicable to the article but definitely Interested in seeing some takes here!

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why algae scrubbers have merit, no? Basically just transferring all your hair algae from the display to a condensed lit sheet that you can harvest.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back