Phyto culture giving off foul smell but continues to grow

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I’ve been culturing Nannochloropsis in my garage (natural sunlight) for the past several months now. My most recent batch I decided to let grow longer and become darker than previously. It continues to get darker by the day, a very dark green and is now on the 3 week mark. Within the past couple of days it has started to smell quite bad, almost like a rotting smell that was not previously there. I would be worried, however the culture appears bright, dark green which I assume means it’s healthy.

Has anybody experienced this foul smell with darker, mature cultures? I added a 1/2 gallon to my reef this morning.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I’ve been culturing Nannochloropsis in my garage (natural sunlight) for the past several months now. My most recent batch I decided to let grow longer and become darker than previously. It continues to get darker by the day, a very dark green and is now on the 3 week mark. Within the past couple of days it has started to smell quite bad, almost like a rotting smell that was not previously there. I would be worried, however the culture appears bright, dark green which I assume means it’s healthy.

Has anybody experienced this foul smell with darker, mature cultures? I added a 1/2 gallon to my reef this morning.
Without the proper agitation, as cells start to die is where you get the rotten smell. Most may still be alive.

Its not going to harm your reef...just think of it as salmon that smells a little extra "salmony" before its actually spoiled lol

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without the proper agitation, as cells start to die is where you get the rotten smell. Most may still be alive.

Its not going to harm your reef...just think of it as salmon that smells a little extra "salmony" before its actually spoiled lol
Thanks for the response.

Yea, I figured it would probly be ok. Corals seem to still love it and it also seems to keep Dino’s away.

It gets plenty of agitation from a bubbler, so I was surprised by the smell this morning.

I could never grow it in my fish room under LED lighting , but it thrives in a window in my garage, even with temps in the 30’s.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response.

Yea, I figured it would probly be ok. Corals seem to still love it and it also seems to keep Dino’s away.

It gets plenty of agitation from a bubbler, so I was surprised by the smell this morning.

I could never grow it in my fish room under LED lighting , but it thrives in a window in my garage, even with temps in the 30’s.
Yea sometimes the cultures just start to crash as the population of cells increases

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea sometimes the cultures just start to crash as the population of cells increases
Yea I hope to use this culture up in the next few days as I have just started a new culture. But other than the smell, this culture shows no signs of crashing….idk

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I hope to use this culture up in the next few days as I have just started a new culture. But other than the smell, this culture shows no signs of crashing….idk
The longer you leave it, the more it will continue to degrade. A slight rot smell is not bad vs the whole thing smelling like roadkill after a week in the sun.

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer you leave it, the more it will continue to degrade. A slight rot smell is not bad vs the whole thing smelling like roadkill after a week in the sun.
So it will crash and go clear eventually?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it will crash and go clear eventually?
It depends....
It could be one of a variety of issues.

I think if the culture is crashing after 3 weeks, you are going too long between batches and its running out of food or its so thick the light cant penetrate.

OP
OP
D

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I don’t think it’s crashing. It continues to get darker green by the day. Only the smell is off now.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dark green color indicates alot of dead cells. At 30C nanno doubles every day or 2 at the most. If you are not removing the dead cells, they are just rotting away. Might as well pour fertilizer into your tank.

Turn off air and let it sit for a few hours. The dead cells will sink to the bottom. Gently pour off the top of the culture and use this to restart using live nanno cells.

*Live nanno is a bright flourescent green, almost unnatural-looking. Dead nanno is a more dark, forest green. Also if you see particulate in the culture it's likely clumps of dead cells. You do not want these, it's basically decomposing organic matter. Nanno cells are 4microns so you cannot see them and they do not stick together when living.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back