Phytoplankton

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting the culture right now and I was going to use the reef nutrition 6 oz bottle of phyto. It says it is concentrated so can I still use the whole thing or should I use only some of it? I am making a 2 L culture. It says it is 1-15 microns.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s your first time I would use whole bottle for sure. You can start with as little as you want it just takes more time and fertilizer giving it a chance to grow something you don’t want.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s your first time I would use whole bottle for sure. You can start with as little as you want it just takes more time and fertilizer giving it a chance to grow something you don’t want.
I went ahead and did it and it is super dark green, almost black. Should I remove some and add saltwater until it is a lighter shade of green?

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might start from scratch and get a single species, more diluted starter culture. Hopefully the stuff I have is still usable.
I was just going to recommend that you start a single strain. When culturing a multi strain product usually one species will dominate the culture. Usually that species that dominates is Nannochloropsis.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can confirm your culture is viable and what species with a microscope pretty quickly. Most of the ones I see that are not labeled end up being Tetraselmis.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I never had luck with the reef nutrition bottle. Try to find a single species, nannochlorosis is the easiest and most commonly available. I usually have my water at about 1.020, and I add just a little phyto until there is just a tint of green in the water. And of course, all your equipment should be sanitized before starting.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Eldridge for single species. He harvests Monday nights and ships Tuesday. You won't get fresher. He's a member of this forum.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back