Pinhead size jellyfish

the3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone please help me identify this? IMG_2123.jpeg IMG_2122.jpeg IMG_2121.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2120.mov
    35 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still new at this but it could be a colonial hyrdriod? Turritopis dohrnii in the medusa stage
Probably not that exact species in this case, but medusa stage hydroids of some variety would be my guess here too:
Medusa stage hydroids - they're common in newer tanks. Unless they're a photosynthetic species or you have enough pods for them to feed on in the tank, they should go away after a while.

OP
OP
the3rd

the3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what hydroids are. I looked it up and think maybe some kind of jellyfish. Are these bad for my Tank?
Probably not that exact species in this case, but medusa stage hydroids of some variety would be my guess here too:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what hydroids are. I looked it up and think maybe some kind of jellyfish. Are these bad for my Tank?
They're related to jellyfish - they're little organisms that have a medusa stage and a polyp stage; during the medusa stage, they look like little jellyfish, and during the polyp stage they can look kind of like corals, "Aiptasia" anemones, or feather duster worms.

They're generally considered pests because they may sometimes sting other things in the tank; they're generally not a problem unless they reproduce though.

OP
OP
the3rd

the3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're related to jellyfish - they're little organisms that have a medusa stage and a polyp stage; during the medusa stage, they look like little jellyfish, and during the polyp stage they can look kind of like corals, "Aiptasia" anemones, or feather duster worms.

They're generally considered pests because they may sometimes sting other things in the tank; they're generally not a problem unless they reproduce though.
Oh okay thank you very much! I do have alot of little white feather dusters on my live rock!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay thank you very much! I do have alot of little white feather dusters on my live rock!
Yeah, real feather duster worms are harmless/beneficial - colonial hydroids (which can sometimes look relatively similar to feather dusters) have a sting that can be harmful.

OP
OP
the3rd

the3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, real feather duster worms are harmless/beneficial - colonial hydroids (which can sometimes look relatively similar to feather dusters) have a sting that can be harmful.
Im hoping they are feather dusters

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 23

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back