Pistol Shrimp Extraction

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo I got a pistol shrimp and yellow watchmen goby and they have been paired up since day uno in my tank. Now, I got them 6 months ago when I started up my first reef tank, and I thought great idea. YEA NO the shrimp is comfortable and not scared of my other fish. It decimates any hermit crabs that he can see, smell, and touch as well as snails. It also believes to be an aquarium scaper and chooses to rescaoe my tank E V E R Y S I N G L E D A Y. So I need Ideas on how to remove it. Cannot empty the tank, can't move the rock that his main den is under due to a 10in RBTA on that rock, and can't have it walk. I have tried to snatch it with tongs and you guessed it TO SLOW. Any ideas or suggestions shoot them over!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giant syringe/water gun to suction it out? I've seen these called "Shrimp Guns" or "Ghost Shrimp Guns" because they're commonly used to fish Ghost Shrimp/Mud Lobsters out of their burrows.

You can DIY one pretty easily with some PVC.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giant syringe/water gun to suction it out? I've seen these called "Shrimp Guns" or "Ghost Shrimp Guns" because they're commonly used to fish Ghost Shrimp/Mud Lobsters out of their burrows.

You can DIY one pretty easily with some PVC.
I shall look it up right now...

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, the problem is I have a cleaner shrimp who is my buddy and cleans my hands while I clean his tank... Cant lose him to :(
No problem! Remember that Bugs Bunny cartoon where Elmer builds the hunting robot and gives the robot a picture of a rabbit to "Program" to hunt Bugs? We'll just do the same thing.

Ok, now that I've dated myself, I'll stop wrecking your thread...

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo I got a pistol shrimp and yellow watchmen goby and they have been paired up since day uno in my tank. Now, I got them 6 months ago when I started up my first reef tank, and I thought great idea. YEA NO the shrimp is comfortable and not scared of my other fish. It decimates any hermit crabs that he can see, smell, and touch as well as snails. It also believes to be an aquarium scaper and chooses to rescaoe my tank E V E R Y S I N G L E D A Y. So I need Ideas on how to remove it. Cannot empty the tank, can't move the rock that his main den is under due to a 10in RBTA on that rock, and can't have it walk. I have tried to snatch it with tongs and you guessed it TO SLOW. Any ideas or suggestions shoot them over!
Well, it is his home, not yours. Let it do its thing? Mine does the same thing. I just roll with it. The only way you will be able to catch it is a total tank breakdown.

Not_Erick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it is his home, not yours. Let it do its thing? Mine does the same thing. I just roll with it. The only way you will be able to catch it is a total tank breakdown.
I sometimes regret mine, he’ll cover some zoas I have at the bottom of the rock with sand when he’s rearranging, then I’ll uncover them and they’ll be covered again the next day

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just accepted that I cannot put anything on his side of the tank, besides the one thing I have gotten away with is a 20 head hammer. Only because it’s so big and heavy he can’t move it. But one you get lemons make lemonade I was told

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy. Get a small section of thin pvc pipe, maybe 10". Put a 45 elbow on one end and a cap on the other. Bury it in front of the shrimps primary burrow entrance. Put some food inside the pvc pipe and the shrimp will eventually go inside the pvc pipe and then pull the pipe from the aquarium.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy. Get a small section of thin pvc pipe, maybe 10". Put a 45 elbow on one end and a cap on the other. Bury it in front of the shrimps primary burrow entrance. Put some food inside the pvc pipe and the shrimp will eventually go inside the pvc pipe and then pull the pipe from the aquarium.

Also for ppl who want a shrimp/goby pair bit want to minimize the sand movement should construct a pvc burrow for their shrimp and goby pair. Use appropriate size pvc pipe and a combination of T fittings, 90, and 45 to create a closed tunnel network. Drill some random small holes throughout it (too small for the shrimp to get out of them). Then place that on the glass bottom and bury it under your sand and rocks. Just have a couple 45 fittings above the sand as entrances. The shrimp and goby will utilize this and won't leave it. You can control exactly where they live. It works.

driciladr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for ppl who want a shrimp/goby pair bit want to minimize the sand movement should construct a pvc burrow for their shrimp and goby pair. Use appropriate size pvc pipe and a combination of T fittings, 90, and 45 to create a closed tunnel network. Drill some random small holes throughout it (too small for the shrimp to get out of them). Then place that on the glass bottom and bury it under your sand and rocks. Just have a couple 45 fittings above the sand as entrances. The shrimp and goby will utilize this and won't leave it. You can control exactly where they live. It works.
Mine is creating a 4” sand mountain but I kind of like it - if I had to redo it I’d probably build it borrows

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea, what size PVC do you think 1in?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back