Pistol shrimp on rocks

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added my japanese snapping shrimp it immediately went to town digging out all the sand from under my rocks (luckily I had the foresight to put them all the way at the bottom of the tank, but I was worried at first because I couldn't remember if I did... Anyways, so the shrimp has removed all the sand it seems from inside the rocks, piled it up on the entrances but now just hangs out perched up in the rocks, doesn't dig any more. Moves between two spots but always up in the rock crevices. My only concern is he's created a sort of gauntlet between my nem and I hear him snapping occasionally (I assume) as fish swim by; have yet to witness a live fire. What gives? I thought these shrimp dug a tunnel and maintained it... there's at least 2-3 inches of sand to play in...
20221030_213331.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added my japanese snapping shrimp it immediately went to town digging out all the sand from under my rocks (luckily I had the foresight to put them all the way at the bottom of the tank, but I was worried at first because I couldn't remember if I did... Anyways, so the shrimp has removed all the sand it seems from inside the rocks, piled it up on the entrances but now just hangs out perched up in the rocks, doesn't dig any more. Moves between two spots but always up in the rock crevices. My only concern is he's created a sort of gauntlet between my nem and I hear him snapping occasionally (I assume) as fish swim by; have yet to witness a live fire. What gives? I thought these shrimp dug a tunnel and maintained it... there's at least 2-3 inches of sand to play in...
20221030_213331.jpg

Agree they are supposed to prefer burrows, but seems yours didn't read its handbook. Yours sounds more like a sniper out among the crevices than a sniper hiding in a foxhole.

You give the impression it has only been with you a few days. Perhaps over time it may move back down into the sand. Wondering how established tank seemed to shrimp, as it was down there sifting around. Perhaps shrimp didn't find sufficient pods or worms or xyz that it maybe also wanted to snack upon, so it moved up.

Lots of species variations, and then individuals may vary as well. This post may help:

Potentially all your fish could be considered it's food. Good luck!

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info. He's been with me for about a week now. Yeah...i knew the risks I'd like to think and so got a smaller one as my fish are bigger... The only two that go by it are the coral beauty who can't keep her nose out of anything and the hawkfish who probably deserves a pop shot once in a while lol. I try to feed well and the shrimp comes out with an antenna on the YWG so I know it's eating. I've got so many bristleworms, isopods, amphipods etc so I'm sure there's lots to find in the sand... It's still new tho so maybe just figuring out it's spot... I'll be observing

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back