Pittsburgh visit

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be in Pittsburgh Friday-Monday for my son's hockey tournament. Are there any good Reef LFSs in the Castle Shannon area, or by the airport?

mikenestle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elmers in Monroeville and The Reef Gallery are both nice shops. I like Elmers for fish and The Reef Gallery for corals.

fetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind me asking what tournament, my son is playing in one also......sorry for the hack of the thread

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddball pets would be the closest to Castle Shannon. Aqua World would be the closest to the airport. Wet Pets wouldn't be super far from Castle Shannon. If you are going to go to Aqua World I would highly recommend continuing up 79 to The Reef Gallery. Elmers is on the other side of town from those 2 locations.

@ProjectAnemone I would ask what you want to see? Wet Pets, Elmers Aquarium, and Aqua World are the three long term established stores. The Reef Gallery is the newest store.

Odd ball pets is mostly freshwater plants. They have like 3 coral tanks of probably around 60 gallons each with frags and mini colonies, but not many saltwater fish. The store used to be a wholesale location and is set-up as such.

Wet Pets has a lot of Saltwater fish, but are limited in their coral to mostly softies and LPS colonies.

Elmers has a good amount of fish as well. They do have more dedicated coral selection with both frags and maricultured colonies.

Aqua World has some fish, but their focus is more on coral with 2 large frag tanks and then other tanks of colonies and mini-colonies.

The Reef Gallery is a newer store and has the really sleek modern clean atmosphere. It is dominated by 2 very large shallow tanks filled with lots of coral frags and colonies in the center of the store with a small dedicated anemone tank and another coral frag tank with high end zoas and sps and two walls of marine fish.

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddball pets would be the closest to Castle Shannon. Aqua World would be the closest to the airport. Wet Pets wouldn't be super far from Castle Shannon. If you are going to go to Aqua World I would highly recommend continuing up 79 to The Reef Gallery. Elmers is on the other side of town from those 2 locations.

@ProjectAnemone I would ask what you want to see? Wet Pets, Elmers Aquarium, and Aqua World are the three long term established stores. The Reef Gallery is the newest store.

Odd ball pets is mostly freshwater plants. They have like 3 coral tanks of probably around 60 gallons each with frags and mini colonies, but not many saltwater fish. The store used to be a wholesale location and is set-up as such.

Wet Pets has a lot of Saltwater fish, but are limited in their coral to mostly softies and LPS colonies.

Elmers has a good amount of fish as well. They do have more dedicated coral selection with both frags and maricultured colonies.

Aqua World has some fish, but their focus is more on coral with 2 large frag tanks and then other tanks of colonies and mini-colonies.

The Reef Gallery is a newer store and has the really sleek modern clean atmosphere. It is dominated by 2 very large shallow tanks filled with lots of coral frags and colonies in the center of the store with a small dedicated anemone tank and another coral frag tank with high end zoas and sps and two walls of marine fish.

I just like to browse between games. I can't pick anything up on this trip as the new display is cycling and the anemone tub is full (of corals i'm babysitting).

OP
OP
ProjectAnemone

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not. The wife decided to tag along so "fish geek" stuff was not an option!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back