Placing return pump on UPS

Bent17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all..

Was thinking of changing my Return pump to the redsea 7000.. Anyone took the plunge?

Anyways thats besides the point... I would like to know if this is a bad idea or not. I do not want to buy a generator and I have my 2 mp40s on battery pack already. What if I connect my controller which has my redsea skimmer and the future redsea return pump to a UPS?

RSK600 Skimmer Max 25W
Redsea Return pump Max 65W

Im no electrician so not sure how much the power of the ups should be

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all..

Was thinking of changing my Return pump to the redsea 7000.. Anyone took the plunge?

Anyways thats besides the point... I would like to know if this is a bad idea or not. I do not want to buy a generator and I have my 2 mp40s on battery pack already. What if I connect my controller which has my redsea skimmer and the future redsea return pump to a UPS?

RSK600 Skimmer Max 25W
Redsea Return pump Max 65W

Im no electrician so not sure how much the power of the ups should be
you need alot more information than what is provided.

To size the UPS:

1. List all the equipment and devices you want the UPS to protect.

2. List the amps and volts for each device. These ratings can typically be found on the label on the back

of the equipment.

3. Multiply amps by volts to determine VoltAmps (VA). Some devices may list their power requirements in watts. To convert watts to VA, divide the watts by power factor.

4. Multiply the VA by the number of pieces of equipment to get the VA subtotals.

5. Add the VA subtotals together to get the total power requirement.

6. Multiply the total by 1.2 to get the grand total. This step accounts for future expansion.

When choosing a UPS, be sure that the VA requirement of supported equipment does not exceed the VA rating of the UPS.

To determine the backup time:

1. Multiply the battery rating (in Ah) × the battery rating (in V) × the number of batteries × the battery efficiency.

2. Then divide that number by the load in Watts (W).

While runtime may seem like a simple thing to quantify, understanding the facts behind the numbers helps determine the optimal battery backup solution for your particular business or application.

Consider the following solution scenarios:

1. UPS with 10-15 minutes of runtime and no generator ── This solution allows time to safely shut down connected equipment and save work-in-progress.

2. UPS with 10-15 minutes of runtime and a generator ── This solution will keep connected systems up and running until the generator powers on.

3. UPS with two or more hours of battery runtime ── In some cases, generators may not be practical and organizations that wish to remain up and running during an extended outage must rely solely on UPS batteries.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back