Plankton Diet For Fish

rfrankle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While researching possibilities for my next fish addition, I am considering several species ... especially Heniochus diphreutes that need a strictly plankton diet.

I’m curious about the best way to feed them ... will frozen foods do the trick? ... or what other suggestions / options should I explore?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect you could eventually get it to eat frozen foods if you mix them with cyclops or baby brine shrimp. Perhaps reef roids would work? Or at least a plankton additive such as Seachem Zooplankton.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They live alongside Moorish Idols and I have dove with them in Tahiti and kept them a few times. They are not a difficult fish and should eat frozen mysis and pieces of clam.
Not a bad looking fish either and rather common.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis are plankton. Brine shrimp are plankton. Calanus are plankton. Most of the things you're probably already feeding are plankton!

"Plankton", technically, are any creatures that can't really go where they choose, but must drift with the ocean currents. Larval crabs, shrimp and clownfish are plankton. So are arctic lion's mane jellyfish, which can grow longer than a blue whale (though not nearly as heavy!)

You should be just fine in terms of what this fish will eat.

~Bruce

OP
OP
rfrankle

rfrankle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis are plankton. Brine shrimp are plankton. Calanus are plankton. Most of the things you're probably already feeding are plankton!

"Plankton", technically, are any creatures that can't really go where they choose, but must drift with the ocean currents. Larval crabs, shrimp and clownfish are plankton. So are arctic lion's mane jellyfish, which can grow longer than a blue whale (though not nearly as heavy!)

~Bruce

Thanks .... That clears things up a lot! Now, just need to be able to locate a vendor with them in stock :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

~Bruce
I hadn't realized that, but yeah I guess "plankton" would include a lot of things we might not really associate with that category.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back