Planted saltwater tank

chris_s9181

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whata the best way to approach the part of the hobby? Do you hace alot od plants to choose from

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No where near the same as a FW planted.

There are many varieties of macro algae to choose from. Many of the more delicate species also uptake calcium and alkalinity the same as corals do.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae tanks are very challenging and someone that would like to follow this route needs a good understanding of aquarium nutrition, a knowledge of pest algaes is also important as it’s much harder to try and eradicate pest algaes from a planted tank only in comparison to a reef tank, the variety is immensely large in the US and there’s always the option to hunt for new species in live rock at most LFS.

edit:
Parameters should be keept different from a reef tank also I normally recommend 0.1 to 0.2 phosphates and a minimum of 5 to 10 nitrates.
A artificial source of nitrogen and phosphorus is also a essential item to have at hand to control nutrients and encourage macro algaes growth.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as far as actual plants go (not macroalgae), your choices are severely limited. There are like four species of marine grass in the hobby (one of which is coldwater), and you can do mangroves too (there’s like three species of mangrove, you typically see red and black mangroves in the hobby). That’s about it.

You might be able to find some other plants that could work if made a little “beach” area in the tank, but those sorts of plants are generally pretty difficult to keep as I understand it (too much water/salt and they die, too little water/salt and they die - given where they grow, it’s a very delicate balance).

From the macroalgae side of things, there’s a decent number of options (including some “pest/invasive” algae species that are quite pretty). It’s definitely a bit different than running a reef tank, though, and - if I remember correctly - it can be fairly difficult to maintain long term. A few people keep them, though, and they’re quite nice looking tanks when kept tidy.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back