Please evaluate our Biocube 32, AI Hydra 26 upgrade

Swav8tor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good! how does it look when you put the light directly on top of the egg crate?

Too narrow of a light pattern. I’m also going to try to make a clear screen as the egg crate does block out some of the light.

Killen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try this with a Hydra 32. Can you share your light settings and how it's worked over the last year.

OP
OP
TL Reefs

TL Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is still working great. Light settings are nothing special. I just used the easy setup at a color temp that looked good. It's in a client's house and I don't have access to it right now to show exact settings.

Killen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, last question. Do you have the power settings set super low to keep your coral from bleaching?

OP
OP
TL Reefs

TL Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, last question. Do you have the power settings set super low to keep your coral from bleaching?
It peaks at around 60% power. But coral bleaching is a combination of many things, light being just one of them. Coral species, alkalinity, and nutrient levels have a huge impact too.

Midwinterx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have went with 52 hd for better spread.
I did this one with the 26 hd with lens it didn't cover the whole tanks on the 32g. So far no heati g issue at 50%. Left the lens on in case of evaporation.
20191026_101343.jpg
20191026_095830.jpg
20191026_101329.jpg

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a hydra 26 today to try this on my biocube. I bought a spare hood too which is still in transit. Can’t wait to try this. Has anyone done par measurements with this setup?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had issues with the heat of the LEDs close to the splash guard? I'm a little worried about the heat scorching the splash guard.

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had issues with the heat of the LEDs close to the splash guard? I'm a little worried about the heat scorching the splash guard.
Didn’t want to bring this back from the dead, but found my splashguard smoking today, the LEDs melted a hole in it running at 50% or so on the blues and green, 0 on red, 20% white.

Should be noted, I did exactly what the OP did except I didn’t remove the lenses for fear of moisture. I did, however, make my own diffuser by running an orbital sander over a piece of lexan with 80 and 220 grit to create a “frosted glass” appearance, and glued it to the outside of the splash guard. Don’t know if or how this would have made an impact, but there was definitely a couple holes in the lexan as well as the splash guard.

luckily I just bought a couple more Red Sea ReefLED90s Monday, so my Prime 16HD Quarantine light was able to bolt to the back of the now topless Biocube until I can get a Hydra 26HD mount shipped to me.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t want to bring this back from the dead, but found my splashguard smoking today, the LEDs melted a hole in it running at 50% or so on the blues and green, 0 on red, 20% white.

Should be noted, I did exactly what the OP did except I didn’t remove the lenses for fear of moisture. I did, however, make my own diffuser by running an orbital sander over a piece of lexan with 80 and 220 grit to create a “frosted glass” appearance, and glued it to the outside of the splash guard. Don’t know if or how this would have made an impact, but there was definitely a couple holes in the lexan as well as the splash guard.

luckily I just bought a couple more Red Sea ReefLED90s Monday, so my Prime 16HD Quarantine light was able to bolt to the back of the now topless Biocube until I can get a Hydra 26HD mount shipped to me.
Honestly, I think it's because you left the lenses on. They focus the light in a much narrower band so that's likely why you had burns. I've had mine running almost a year and no issues with the splash guard at all.

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn’t from heat apparently, otherwise the stock lenses would have had some sort of discoloration or warp to them. I think it was from the UV versus Lexan

GregHurst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been working on a solution for the Biocube lighting issue. The 32 gallon tanks with LED lighting will keep softies and LPS alive, and some SPS, but they don't thrive. Removing the lid and adding a Kessil or Hydra works, but leaves it looking "modified." We wanted something that would allow us to grow any kind of coral, and also keep the closed lid. Recently, a customer asked us to install a Biocube for them, but they wanted to be able to keep any kind of coral. This was just the motivation I needed to come up with a solution

There are a couple DIY retro kits that can be installed and I'm sure they work great, but we wanted a solution that uses commercially available lights, such as Hydras. And here is what we came up with:

It is an AI Hydra 26, mounted into the hood. It utilizes the cooling fan on the Hydra to suck air in through the top of the hood, and blow it out the vents in the back. Then we removed the lenses, as they create a hot spot and could possibly melt the splash guard. Removing the lenses also gave a much better spread.

They run cool, with no overheating issues. We did see a 1-2 degree water temp increase with the lights running at 50%, which is manageable IMO.

Now on to the pics!

DSC_1125-1.jpg

DSC_1136-1.jpg

DSC_1138-1.jpg

DSC_1145-1.jpg

DSC_1148-1.jpg
Sorry for asking on old post, looking to do similar with my new to me Red Sea Max 130d. Interested on how difficult it was to remove diffusers?
Got Hydra 26hd coming and thinking about fitted both to get better light spread. Want to keep good on but they are coming with arms if it fails! Got spare hood to play with

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back